Chapter 4-Making Things Work

Chapter Four

We made a place for “camp” fairly close to the shore. It was maybe a mile away from shore but it was a huge mountain with it’s own large spot of grass behind it. Also the huge mountain had a huge indent right next to it and many holes which I thought was weird yet convenient.

“Okay so we should start to get wood to build the shelter,” Jared suggested.

“Who would watch the luggage though?” I pointed to them, dirty and rough, laying on the floor.

“It’s not they have legs, they can’t walk,” he scoffed.

I crossed my arms. “Fine. I can stay. You can go.”

He scowled at me. “Whatever.” He drops the deflated lifeboat and leaves, going deeper and deeper into the never ending trees.

I glare at him as he walks away. I turn to the bags. It’s still raining and they’re getting soaked. There is no shelter in the area we picked but we can build a big shelter. I put all the bags in a corner and crawl over to them. It’s freezing and I can barely see. I shiver and shiver. Sierra or Lizzie must have packed a blanket or something. But I can’t open the bags. They’d get wet instantly.

Jared comes back faster than I expected with more wood than I could count. “There’s a woodpile not far from here. Should we build against the rock?” He said, pulling his sweatshirt closer to him.

I nod and stand up, helping him set up the wood. They are fairly long and some short and thin but they are easy to work with. We set all of them below the dirt and mush the dirt close to the sticks so they stay up.

“Want me to get more wood?” Jared shouted over the leaves.

“No, I’ll go this time. There are palm trees closer to the ocean. Go get some leaves.” He nods and starts running the direction towards the ocean and I run the opposite way. He was right. The woodpile wasn’t so far. It was half a mile away. It was actually a field of destroyed trees and the branches were all dark and thick.

I grab as many as I could muster and run back to the campsite. Jared is not back yet so I start aligning the top of it with more sticks and branches. I take a look at the shelter. It’s as big as an average kitchen so it could fit probably 4 people, at least.

I see Jared charging over from the distance with leaves in his hand. He quickly puts them on the roof of the shelter and goes in, grabbing my hand along the way.

We sit down, Jared sitting against the left wall of the shelter and I’m sitting on the mountain rock which is wet but warm. I close my eyes inhaling the rainy scent. We sit there from minutes and minutes just breathing in the coldness but warmth of the moment.

“Are you cold?”

I snap out of my trance and look toward the voice. Jared is staring at me. His brown hair was flopped in front of his face and his knees with placed up under his chin. I stare at him. He looks less….well this is the first time I look at him, and he’s at peace. As if nothing is about him getting girls or being a jerk.

“Amelia, did you hear me?”

I shake my head. “Yeah. I heard. I’m fine.”

He nods and looks at the ground. I see the bags again and grab all of them. He sees me do the action and reaches for one. I snatch it out of his grasp.

“No, no, no you pervert. I know what you’re doing.” I said, staring at him with a knowing look on my face.

“What do you mean by that?” He asked, shocked.