[7] wounded

"Shelby, wait!" Cory cried. He ran after the red-head, cutting down enemies with his knife as he went. Nick followed after his best friend, hacking at people with his axe.

Ross, who Nick found out to be Shelby's younger cousin, was on the ground, backing up.

Lord Aphmau herself stood over him, a sword, like Shelby's except with the inverse colors, raised. She grinned sadistically as she brought it down.

With a cry, Shelby launched herself at Lord Aphmau, only to get pushed aside by Cory, who jumped in and intercepted the sword with his knife, a feat only the most skilled knife fighters could accomplish.

Cory grit his teeth as he pushed against Lord Aphmau's sword. Lord Aphmau sneered at him. "You think you've saved two lives today, boy? You are wrong. This is only the beginning. Innocents will be slaughtered, and the Evil will rule all."

Cory pushed harder. "You'll never win!"

Nick watched in horror as Lord Aphmau's sword pushed down and cut into Cory's arm. He cried out and fell, his knife clattering to the ground.

Lord Aphmau looked directly at Shelby, who was helping Ross up.

"Shelby, look out!" Nick warned her.

She looked up into Lord Aphmau's hateful eyes. Shelby gripped her sword.

Then, she did the stupidest thing Nick had seen in his life.

Shelby attacked.

She lunged forward, bringing down her sword, only for Lord Aphmau to meet it with her almost identical one. The two were pushing against each other for a moment, until Shelby kicked out with her foot and Lord Aphmau had to jump back to avoid falling.

Lord Aphmau quickly recovered and lashed out at Shelby.

While they were sparring, Nick snuck over to check on Cory.

It didn't look good. The cut was on his forearm, and it was a disgusting mess of blood and torn skin. Smoke the color of Aphmau's sword was curling from the wound.

"Uh, Ross?" Nick asked. "Are wounds supposed to smoke?"

Ross groaned. "I don't think so."

Nick moved over to Shelby's younger cousin. "Hey, man, you okay?"

Ross grimaced. "Sprained ankle. I'll live. Go check up on Cory. I'll try and find Okward."

He tried to get up, but Nick stopped him.

"Settle down, Ross. You can't go into the middle of a fight with a sprained ankle. You watch over Cory. I'll go find Okward."

"Okay, but be careful," Ross warned Nick.

Nick nodded. "Promise. Watch over Shelby, too. Don't let Aphmau get her."

Nick ran off, searching the battle. He passed Max, shooting fiery arrows at the Evil. He passed Jin and Sky, who were back to back and fighting off enemies in almost perfect synchronization.

Nick weaved through trees until he reached his teacher. "Okward!"

Okward cut down an enemy with his spear. "What is it Nick?"

"Lord Aphmau, she's fighting Shelby," Nick panted.

"What?" Okward ran off in the direction that Nick came from. Nick looked around to see all the enemies taken care of.

All except for Lord Aphmau and Max's friend, Tim.

Max stood, bow drawn, arrow aiming right at Tim's face. Sky and Jin stood protectively behind Max.

Nick looked to his left. Lord Aphmau and Shelby were still a whirr of blades. Okward had joined in and was jabbing with his spear. Ross was frantically trying to help Cory.

Nick looked between the two groups. Suddenly, Max spoke up. "Hey, Tim-Tim. How's it going?"

Tim smiled calmly. "Hey Maxxy. You're never going to stop us. As long as Joel remains lost in the basement, we'll win. And we'll destroy every last one of you when we have Shelby. You just wait."

Max fired the arrow.