[12] Kelvin's Lac

For hours the companions dredged on through the woods ever watching and listening for the inevitable return of the undead. Haygen methodically tracked the kidnappers noting a campsite and cut leather straps where their prisoner must have been bound to a tree. Otis wondered aloud how their prey traveled through the wood without madness taking them.

"Does this route seem familiar?" asked Haygen. His brow furrowed into a jagged ledge over his gentle brown eyes. His black, unruly hair and green mud-streaked face echoed his denial of the civilized world.

"Kelvin's Lac is near," said Kayla. She held her protection spell strong as her butterflies darted among them like beautiful gnats. The sun just passed mid-day and she stood with proud confidence. Clutching her staff and carrying her own pack she remained vigilant with her focus.

Wess cracked a laugh, "Remember that time, with that Orc shaman, and you fought the Chief in that pit?"

"Don't think you'll ever let me forget that," the Barbarian replied.

"Well, no," said Wess. "So there we were—"

"We know the story, Nucklehead," Otis cut him off rolling his eyes. "We were there. Remember?"

"Yes, but there we were," the Faeling made as big a circle with his small arms as he could, "SURROUNDED by an entire clan of Bloodborn Orcs. We were about to die when..."

Kayla cleared her throat. "Wess, I'm trying to concentrate. Don't make me drop this spell to magically silence you...again."

"Right. Sorry." Wess returned to padding silently through the forest looking like a spirit of the woods as his race implied. He dragged his cloak through the earth and leaves to better blend with the wild. Streaks of dark mud masked his face, hands, and armor. In his right hand, he clutched his short mace with a smooth oblong head knowing it would be better for smashing skeleton bone. In the other, he flipped and twirled his new dagger from a forward grip to a reverse grip gaining intimate knowledge of the elegant Elf blade.

The tracks did lead them north to Kelvin's Lac. Once clear of the forest, the lac stretched out before them like a long, shimmering mirror. The Wolf Cry Mountains rose abruptly from the treetops and reflected off the still water. The white cedar boating docks now lay smashed and washed up on the rocky shore tangled in rope. A few solid posts remained and pierced the surface of the water like thin tombstones marking watery graves. No duck or goose swam atop the lake. No eagle soared above.

The four companions remembered fond memories of Kelvin's Lac. Their first adventuring posts were running convoy protection from Goblin and Orc bandits to and from Tamberlain long before the haunting of the Whispering Woods.

The lac used to be the prominent source of fish and wildlife for Tamberlain. Traders all the way from Corfé would barter with the fishmongers bringing the exotic Sword-Fish to their clients in the big city. Rockheads, Rainbow Carp, and Jetty Perch being the more common species.

Once clear of the trees, Kayla could no longer feel the presence of the Tenchi spirits. She released her spell and took a deep, calming breath. This time, the butterflies flew in a kaleidoscope straight for the water and across the lac to the far side out of sight. They followed the tracks around the muddy embankment of the lac to the north and by the time they made it to the other side the sun cresting the trees, so they decided to make camp.

"The tracks continue north here," Haygen indicated to a game path entering the woods.

"Very well," Otis said. "Let's camp here for the evening. We'll not get much further tonight."

They set down their bags and leaned against a large fallen tree trunk. After a quick swig from his wine flask, Wess removed the sections of his fishing rod from his pack. After pushing them together, the rod stood three times the length of him. He strung the drop-line, tied on the hook, and used a little crayfish he found as bait.

"I'm hoping for a Sword-Fish," said the Faeling, "but I'll settle for a Jetty." With a greedy grin, he cast out into the depths of the lac. The on-lookers smiled at their evening entertainment.

Wess moved into the cold water a bit. Winter would be right around the corner. He did notice the tips of trees turned a bit yellow. A few moments later, his line jerked.

"Got ya, don't I," said Wess.

"He's quite a fighter," said Otis watching the Faeling struggle with the line.

Wess gently pulled the rod to the left and right. "I've got him. I've got him."

"Don't let that line go slack, Wess," Haygen urged in hushed command.

With one final pull, he landed a Sword-Fish. He found it a respectable catch for just off the shore. Its long bony bill protruded out, forming a deadly sword to the unaware. The clean white scales stood out in stark contrast to the black muddy shore.

"Look! It's the biggest fish I've ever seen!" Wess jumped up and down and the fish flipped up into the air in concert with one another.

Just then, the water came alive.

With a massive wave, the surface of the lac twisted and took the shape of a gargantuan serpent. The water creature grew as tall as the giant trees and its jaws could have bitten a wagon in two. Its mouth erupted into a horrific growl and water sprayed from its maw. The creature slithered its liquid form causing giant waves that knocked Wess to the muddy beach.

Seeing an easy target, the creature wrapped around the Faeling and dragged him into the cold depths.

Thank you so much for reading! I love the conversations in the comments, so feel free to discuss!