Chapter Eight

I was in my apartment when my phone rang

I was in my apartment when my phone rang. I didn't really want to deal with the whole Berkley's back in my life situation, so I thought it would be best to just ignore it. I didn't want to deal with life, so I thought I would head back to my apartment and crack open the bottle of wine I just bought.

As I grabbed my glass, my phone began to ring incessantly from the other room. I groaned and headed towards it. I saw Holden's name flash across the screen. I groaned as I leaned against the sofa. I was going to need a drink just because of Holden.

"Yes, your majesty?" I asked once I answered the phone.

"My office, now," he said in a clipped tone. He hung up as soon as he said that. I rolled my eyes and slipped my shoes on and retrieved my keys. I was in no mood to be dealing with him whatsoever.

I hated this long walk to Holden's office. Even though it really wasn't that long of a walk, it seemed like it took forever to get here. When I reached his office, the door was open and Holden was sitting at his desk. He glanced up just as I reached the doorway. He beckoned me into the room.

"Shut the door behind you," he instructed as he pointed at the door. I closed the door and walked over to one of the chairs in front of his desk. "I gave Berkley a three month offer. In ninety days we'll be returning to his contract and renegotiating it."

"Okay?" I asked. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because the only way he would resign it would be because of this," he said and handed me a stack of papers. I furrowed my brows as I took hold of the papers and looked over them. "You're going to renegotiate your terms as well in ninety days."

"I've been a member for over a year, Holden."

"I understand," he nodded. "But if I wanted to keep Mr. Parris, I had to do something. Just sign it."

"Is it the exact same contract I had before?" I asked. I didn't really feel like rereading the terms of the already fucked up agreement. I hated the contract and this place to begin with. Holden gave a nod.

I didn't want to read the contract, but I knew better than to not read things. I went through it quickly, nothing seems to have changed. Except for the last section of the contract. I rolled my eyes as I went through it.

"A trainer?" I asked looking at him with wide eyes. "You want to revoke my other position?"

"You have no need to continue your other position, Poppy. Your current position is to train Berkley. Your job is to show him the ropes of the club and show him how to do his job here. I have him learning our curriculum right now. He will be done in the next hour or so."

"I have no right to be training Berkley," I told him as I placed the papers back on the desk.

"As long as you don't love him, you're going to do your job. You haven't been with him in over three years, you will do just fine. Besides, you don't love him, right?" he asked as he held out a pen to me. I eyed it suspiciously.