III: Darkness

III: Darkness

August 26, 2014

Riley entered the forest. She had no idea as to what her plan was when she thought of coming here. 

It was late. Too late for anyone to even be awake at this time. 

2:47 a.m, the time on her phone had read. 

I shouldn't even be here, she had thought to herself. 

But it was either question the lack of her sanity in this moment or completely lose the remaining sanity she had at yet another party that awaited her along with Marissa who would undoubtedly talk her ear off.

Riley took notice of the trees around her, letting every frown line fade away from her face, making her close her eyes and just breathe in the fresh air that surrounded her, instead of the usual marijuana-filled atmosphere that awaited her back at the party.

Riley confided in the dark, as strange as it sounded. The dark was where she could speak her deepest and most treacherous out into the air, and no one would be able to see the emotion spread across her face as she said them, as well as the other way around. 

Sometimes she just needed to take a breather and be left alone to her thoughts. Riley didn't need the constant sympathetic stares that she received everyday. 

Riley slowly sits down on the grass, her back laying up again the tall and mighty evergreen tree, the breeze scattering her long strands of hair across her face and into her mouth. 

"Pffff," is the immediate sound that comes out of her mouth, reaching up to quickly grab the strands of her hair that remain in her mouth.

Sighing, Riley leans her head back onto the tree. This is the first time she feels as though she had the proper security and comfort since the fire. 

She wasn't trying to be ungrateful for the people who had remained in her life, despite the burden of her being accepted into their lives; like her aunt and uncle, and even her best friend Marissa.

Riley loved Marissa, she was her best friend, after all, but sometimes she could just be a handful. Whether it was getting too wasted at a party or forgetting to do assignments for a class, Marissa always needed someone by her side to keep her in check.

The leaves around Riley started to rustle, moving past her quickly. She could hear the heavy crunching of leaves, putting her onto high alert, her ears trying to focus on which direction who or what was coming towards her. 

"H-hello?" she whispered faintly, not quite sure if she should even try to communicate.

She received silence, her words disappearing into the heavy gust of wind that had came next.

The crunches of the leaves were all that she was focused on, how loud they were getting, proving Riley's theory that whatever had joined her out here was in fact coming towards her.

Quickly, but as quietly as she could, Riley grabbed the jacket that she had laid down under her, and tied it around her waist. When whoever came around the tree, she would make a dash for the house, she had quickly decided amongst herself.

The heavy steps got closer and closer, setting an eerie tone to the dark forest. 

Riley had always confided in the dark, but she wasn't too sure it was such a good idea at this moment and time, anymore.

______________________________________________

Ahhh, I'm back!!

Sorry for the little cliff hanger there, I just couldn't resist (;

So I'm back from my very long hiatus, and have decided that this story will most definitely be my main focus. 

I hope that those of you who still have this story in their libraries enjoyed the chapter, it hopefully showed my progress of my writing since I stopped updating about a year or so ago!

Anyway, another chapter will be up soon, until then, have a nice day! <3