I: Party

I: Party
August 24, 2014

Marissa, Riley's best friend, dragged Riley into the party, insisting that it would be fun and she wouldn't leave her alone to fend for herself.

Riley, unfortunately, had previously agreed to go with Marissa to a party she had been buzzing about all week long, not thinking of what possible consequences or outcomes were to come.

Marissa had broken her promise about 10 minutes after they had walked into the party, leaving Riley completely vulnerable. Riley didn't even know who was throwing the party, nor did she have an interest in coming. (A/N: Don't.)

Riley stood in place, not knowing what to do at this point. Ever since that fire at her house, she had been deemed partially blind in her left eye, the skin around it and on that side, burned and charred. Her doctor said that about the age of 21, she would officially lose all sight, claiming not to know any cures for her blindness.

Teenagers bumped into her like she wasn't even there, nor did they care that she was there.

Riley didn't have many friends to begin with. Marissa had been someone she met after she moved to a new town. Unfortunately for Riley, Marissa was the only one there for her, so she just had to keep her.

Deciding to move, she makes slow and steady steps over to a crowd of people.

She can hear the various tightly-dressed girl's giggles at a deep voice. Riley turned her head slightly to get a somewhat better view through the haze in her eyes and the sunglasses she was wearing. 

A man that looked about her age, was surrounded by girls, a gentle smile placed on his face, not flirty nor a forced, charming smile. Nothing about him seemed to describe or give away why he was at this party.

Riley pulled her bangs to hug the left side of her face more, creating a shadow that wouldn't show the burnt skin. She wanted to get used to her flaws, she really did, but with the way everyone seemed to judge others by a single glance, she wouldn't try it today. She refused to try it at a party, somewhere like this.

She turned her gaze away from the group, deciding not to intrude like she originally planned to. Riley just wanted to go home. The only place that she knew where everything was, everything kept in the same exact place 24/7.

It seemed like seconds turned into minutes when Riley finally snapped out of her thoughts. She went to turn around, not bothering to turn her head far enought to see when she bumped into a lean figure, immediately going to apologize.

"I-I'm so sorry, I just didn't see you there," Riley stammered, completely flustered beyond belief.

A rather large hand is placed onto her shoulder, the warmth of it shocking her. "Hey, it's alright, it's just an accident. It happens to everyone, yeah?"

She just nods, but the man goes to speak again.

"What're doing wearing sunglasses in here anyways? It's so dark in here." He questions out of pure curiosity.

"Oh," She states, trying to make something up in her head; a quick and believable lie. "I completely forgot about these."

The man quirks up and eyebrow. "So you're not going to take them off?"

Riley shakes her head. "No, I think I'll just have to deal with the consequences."

With that said, she softly brushes past him to find Marissa, their shoulders meeting just slightly. Warmth is met with cold, and that's how the search starts; to find the perfect temperature.

----------------------

- I want you guys to be able to really get to know Riley and each of the characters really well, unlike my previous and ongoing stories.

-I hope you enjoyed the first official chapter :)