Chapter 5.

Since my talk with Mr. Pennyworth had ended, I headed back to the shop assistant that was still patiently waiting for me at a table with two chairs.

"I'm sorry, I had to ask something concerning the dress code, it couldn't be avoided." I told her, not wanting to come across as rude.

"Of course, I understand." She replied with bright eyes. Not a lot of people seemed to apologize to her.

"Let's get started then. I will ask you some questions and we'll try something that suits your taste. I will try to give you some advice on which dress style suits you best or recommend a color that you might like. Is that okay with you?" She asked and I nodded, feeling weird about being treated like this.

"But let's start with the major things first: Do you prefer a specific color?" She inquired to know and I thought about it for a second.

"I always love wine red, light or navy blue, black or blush colored dresses. I've also seen great dresses in beige or nude, but I'm afraid I'm too pale for them." I explained the situation I was in and she took notes.

"I'll look if I find something that suits you. Most of these colors are great choices for you!" She said happily and looked up at me again when she was done taking her notes.

"Is there a certain style that you like? An A-line or a mermaid style for example?"

"I always prefer A-line dresses, but I'd love to try out a mermaid dress once, so basically I'm up for anything." I shrugged and she nodded, writing it down.

"Ok, then let's go into the details: Do you like applications like glitter, beads, things like that?"

"It always depends on the dress, but I would say I'm more into glitter than a plain dress, I think that is too boring." I told her and she nodded again.

"Ok, just for orientation then: Any designers you love? But I can't promise anything!" She asked me and raised her hands in defense.

Now it actually hit me what kind of dress Mr. Wayne wanted to give us. How could I accept that? From my boss as well! Was that even legal? I frowned once again.

"By the way, are you only selling dresses? Or are you lending them to people, too?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'm glad you asked, because then I'll have to look at the dresses in another section. We also lend dresses, would you prefer lending one for tomorrow night?" She asked, obviously knowing it was for the charity event, and I nodded, feeling a little relieved. That would cost much less.

"That would be wonderful." I practically sighed and she smiled.

"I'll look at some dresses that would suit you, please wait here." She said and disappeared into another room.

In the meanwhile I looked around the room and saw the other shop assistant approach the changing rooms with about 6 dresses on a clothes rail. I chuckled because Mary chose completly different colors. There was a lot of green, yellow and purple in there. But I was sure they would look incredible on her.

As I thought that the lady that was helping me came back to me with a filled clothes rail.

I followed her to the changing rooms, where she stopped and looked at the dresses for a moment. Then she grabbed one from the clothes rail and gave it to me.

"I think you should try this one first. An A-line." She stated determined and I just nodded and vanished in the changing room where I took a closer look at the dress.

It was indeed an A-line in royal blue which was a little too light for my taste. I tried it on and right away I knew that I didn't like it. It was a neckholder dress too, which is something I always felt a little insecure in and thus didn't really fancy. Without thinking about it any longer I took it off again, exchanging it for a peach colored rather simple cut dress out of velvet.