47|| Bishop to G2

47|| Bishop to G2

With the revelation that the Boy Who Lived does not know the tale, all four witnesses turn their eyes on him, some unsteady and others expectant.  And like them, Harry gazes at their masses as if questioning how they know this story.  However, this is typically the case with Harry, him not knowing and everyone else understanding.  With Ron, he likely grew up on the wizarding stories.  Hermione, a muggleborn, is still a bookworm who cannot be trusted to hinder her knowledge to only nonfiction.  And Tom, well, he's as much of a 'know-it-all' as Granger.  So, Harry simply turns to Hermione for an explanation of the story, not having expected her to have it on hand.  But she does, the girl reaching into her beaded bag at the silent request and pulling out The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

"It's in here," she says softly.  Tom, previously standing nearby, comes and sits beside Hermione on the small couch, peeking over her shoulder at the cover of said book.  To the others, this action is not done with interest or closeness, but it seems to be an innate action for the two to read together.  Maybe it is.

Coughing, Lovegood remarks, "Well, there's no real reason to go on unless one is familiar with the tale.  Why don't you read it aloud, Miss...?"

"Granger," Hermione tells him, but Tom must wonder how people do not know of Hermione, if not for her intelligence and implied fame among her peers, then for her connection to Harry.  She's the reason Harry's still alive...she's the reason they've been so successful in this task.  Do they not realize this?  But nonetheless, Hermione shuffles uncomfortably in her seat, looking at the older Lovegood as she cracks open the book.  "Well, all right..."

"...There were once three brothers who were traveling along a lonely, winding road at twilight--"

"'Midnight.' Mum always said 'midnight,'" Ron is quick to cut in, only resulting in a glowering look from Hermione and a sly grin from Tom, though it is barely perceivable with his head tilted towards the book.  Ron catches Hermione's look and reconciles quickly: "But twilight's fine. Better actually."

The other-two-thirds of the Trio watch Hermione while Lovegood revolves his head around to the window, watching the dusk begin its toll.  Tom's eyes continually alternate their gaze between Lovegood and Hermione, entranced in her but alert for Lovegood's treachery.  Hermione takes a deep breath to calm herself from anger and discomfort, but eventually continues with the dreary tale:

"In time, the brothers reached a river too treacherous to pass.  But being learned in the magical arts, the three brothers simply waved their wands and made a bridge.  They were halfway across it when they found their path blocked by a hooded figure."

Harry's eyes flicker over to Tom's face at the mention of a hooded figure, far too familiar to his imagination

Harry's eyes flicker over to Tom's face at the mention of a hooded figure, far too familiar to his imagination.  But the boy turns to him with an alert eye, complacent and not revealing of emotion.  It is not as unnerving as Harry expected.