78|| Knight to H4

78|| Knight to H4

On the first morning of classes, Hermione's up and ready to go at the crack of dawn, pacing between her and Tom's door while the boy watches in humor. It's strange to see her in such a state, unmasked from her Slytherin identity, and returned to the stubborn Gryffindor of brilliant zeal. And though he really ought to calm her, Tom Riddle is enjoying this far too much with nothing else to entertain him than the attractive fluster to her cheeks and foggy eyes of many distorted thoughts. To be honest, he really wants to kiss her, but he knows Hermione will hit him for even thinking such an idea. Shame.

But Hermione seems to have gathered herself tall in courage by the time breakfast arrives, her shoulders perched backwards and neck straight, always slim. Walking together towards the Great Hall, with Tom striding and Hermione nearly strutting, eyes are turned upon them, a power couple without a need to know their names. And though Hermione's only stabilized by the end goal of reaching breakfast, Tom overthrows her plans as he walks straight past the door, Hermione stopping as he gives her the eye: 'what is it now?'

"Where are we going?" Hermione asks, feet edging towards the Great Hall to leave him, but uncertain as to what trouble he may cause if she leaves him alone. And though Tom would usually taunt her with a lie of his intentions, he seems slightly solemn in facing her, his intentions becoming obvious for those to witness.

"I need to apologize to someone," he sighs, voice still strong in character but slightly wary in his attempts.

"Who...ohh," Hermione's eyes widen in realization, not having expected Tom to do this, but happily surprised he is. No wonder he wants her company: only she can see his weakness.

"It's about time I addressed this wrong...perhaps my biggest of all," Tom remarks, knowing that the incident with the Chamber of Secrets began his dark mission, a path through night and nothing less than misery. But Tom Riddle does not feel guilty--just hindered in his actions as long as this situation lingers. So while Hermione nods and returns to his side, Tom can only steel himself with an unwelcome Gryffindor courage that Hermione exerts.

Passing through the Castle and its doors, across the bridge, and down the hill, the couple gazes upon the hut of the half-giant and original friend of Harry Potter. And Hagrid himself is outdoors, preparing for class as he gathers food for the unknown creatures.

Tom tucks himself behind a tree so as to avoid the giant's notice, Hermione continuing forward without hesitation as Hagrid turns his head at the sound of her feet, "Mione!  Oh, how it's 'uch a pleasure to see ya!  Where's 'arry and Ron?"

Tom tucks himself behind a tree so as to avoid the giant's notice, Hermione continuing forward without hesitation as Hagrid turns his head at the sound of her feet, "Mione! Oh, how it's 'uch a pleasure to see ya! Where's 'arry and Ron?"

The girl is almost crushed by Hagrid's arms, so powerful in his emotion and heritage that she cannot help smiling. Looking up at him, finally released, she answers with genuine emotion, "Sadly, they are not with me. They start their Auror training in a few days. I wanted to come back...because...I do not think I parted from Hogwarts in the best way."