The Afternoon

For the next few hours I made myself busy with the daily tasks of clearing up the remains of Jamie's breakfast and ironing his shirt and trousers for tomorrow. Upstairs, I saw last night's dark grey t-shirt pooled up on the floor beside the bed and I slipped it on over my dress, missing my husband's smell already.

For tea tonight I wanted to make a special meal for Jamie. There was no particular reason for this apart from the fact that I loved him and wanted to make him happy. I reluctantly took off his pyjama top and headed out to the supermarket for some ingredients.

Before I knew it, it was five minutes to six, and Jamie was going to be back any minute. Finishing up in the kitchen, I popped on my heels and straightened out my dress before setting out two placemats and a bottle of wine on our table. Hearing the key turn in the front door, I pinched my cheeks and smoothed down my hair, and made my way over to my husband. Seeing me, he opened up his arms and let me run into them as I always did.

"How's my little lady?", Jamie flashed his adorable smile at me and I giggled. "And what's that I can smell, honey? It's delicious!"

"I wanted to do something special for tonight for you so I made duck for dinner!", I grinned, pleased by his reaction.

"Sometimes I don't know what I do to deserve you, princess. You're amazing!". My husband places his hands underneath my arms and lifts me into the air before bringing me back down for a kiss. "But what's the special occasion, baby?"

"Do I need an excuse to treat my husband?", I laughed.

"No, no you don't, honey. You treat me every day."

Sitting down at the table, we tucked into our tea and talked non-stop over a bottle of wine. The one thing I can guarantee about tea time is that I will belly laugh at least once. Once we'd done with our meal, Jamie suddenly became quiet and looked down at his hands. I moved around the table towards him and positioned myself on his knee, wrapping my arms around his neck and tilting his chin up to look at me.

"What's wrong, honey?", I asked, concerned.

"I.. I wanted to ask you something.", Jamie replied quietly.

"Yes, baby? You can ask me anything, you know that.", You said soothingly, while stroking his cheek with your hand.

"Well, you know my assistant Holly? The one who went to have a baby last year? Well... she came back today, and she brought her baby into work. She was the most beautiful thing in the world. I just... I just couldn't help feeling like I wanted that, you know? What I'm trying to say is... I want that... and I want it with you. I know it's sudden - and I'd understand if you wanted to wait bu-", I cut him off with a kiss, which he returned with passion.

"Darling,", I choked, tears coming to my eyes, "I've always wanted a little baby. And with you, it just feels so right. I'd love to try." The tears began to fall, and Jamie pulled me close and let his own fall too.

"Oh baby, I love you... so, so much.", he whispered into my hair.

"I love you more, honey. More than you'll ever know."

Jamie wrapped his hands underneath my thighs and picked me up, strolling into the bedroom. We fell onto the sheets and kissed like it was our last night together. Sitting up, he undid his tie and shirt, his piercing eyes never leaving mine, revealing his beautiful body to me - inch by inch. It was mouthwatering. His lips found my neck as his hands travelled down my body towards the hemline of my dress and we made love, just like on our wedding night.

We laid on the bed for a few minutes afterwards, just looking at each other - speechless.

"You... you're just... I...", Jamie stuttered, bewildered.

"You really do have a way with words.", I teased, giggling. Jamie began laughing too.

"Oi, cheeky!", he exclaimed. I carried on giggling. "Right - that's it. You're going to get it now!" I squealed as Jamie climbed on top of me and tickled my sides. As much as I tried to writhe around, I could barely move underneath the mass of muscle that is my husband.

"Stop! Stop! I'm sorry! You're amazing! The best! P-please! Stop!", I gasped for air in-between words. Finally, Jamie took mercy on me and collapsed onto the bed beside me, clutching his tummy in a heap of laughter. I couldn't help but smile - he was just so beautiful.

"Right, little lady.", Jamie said, as he managed to suppress his laughter. "What are we watching tonight?"

"Hm... I'm thinking something funny. A rom-com sound good to you?", I asked, looking up at my husband.

"Sounds perfect, baby." He replied. Jamie and I made it our ritual to watch a movie at least once a week. At first he made out that he hated all chick-flicks, but I think I've definitely converted him.

An hour later, we lay cuddled up in blankets on the sofa, halfway through 'Mean Girls'. It was getting late, and I could tell Jamie was starting to get sleepy, so I laid his head on my chest and began to stroke his back.

"You know, princess.", Jamie spoke, "You're going to be an amazing mummy to our baby." I glanced down at my man, and saw his closed eyes and his slow breathing, and I could tell he was asleep.

"And you're going to be an amazing daddy.", I whispered, not wanting to wake him up. I turned off the movie and the main lights, and closed my eyes, dreaming of my gorgeous husband holding our little girl.