seven

Hailee arrived along with the rest of her team and sat herself down in between Connie and Luis.

Adam was the last to enter the room, and sat opposite Hailee. Great. She thought.

"I love this tradition! At my old school, we didn't have traditions like this." Averman said, excitedly.

"Waiter, I've got too many forks. I-I only need one. I don't... y'all, I just..." Dwayne stammered. "What's this little bitty one - what's this little bitty one for?" He laughed.

Hailee watched as Riley and Charlie talked. She mentally shook her head - she knew he was just messing with him.

Hailee felt Luis take hold of her thigh and gently squeeze it. "You look great, by the way."

Her cheeks heated up, and she didn't know whether it was with anger or the fact that she was flattered.
"Thanks, you too."

Riley tapped his glass. The students calmed down as he stood up.
"On behalf of the Eden Hall Warrior Varsity State Champion hockey team, I'd like to welcome the future state champs: the Eden Hall freshmen. Here, here."

"Here, here!" Everyone repeated, clinking their glasses.

"We're just glad you loaned us Banksie so that we'd have a change to beat you guys in the annual Freshmen-Varisty Showdown." Riley said as Cole patted Adam on the back.

Adam met Hailee's glance for a second before looking down at his lap.

"Now, nobody move. We've got one last surprise. Fellas?" Riley grinned.

Goldberg rubbed his hands together. "I love surprises!" He said to Julie.

"Banksie." Riley nodded at Adam.

"Where are they going?" Julie asked, as the Warriors all stood up.
"Don't worry, we'll be right back."

Hailee looked around in confusion, slightly worried.

"Guys, I don't wanna spoil anything, but I overheard something in the bathroom." Guy whispered.
"What is it?" Hailee asked.
"It's cake! Act surprised, alright?" Guy said.

Hailee watched Charlie grin. She chuckled at how excited he looked.

The door then opened, revealing a massive cake.
"What is that? Oh!" Julie exclaimed, trying to act surprised.
"Ah, they are too kind." Charlie remarked.

As the text on the cake became more visible, Goldberg read it aloud.
"Thanks for dinner, losers."

One of the men wheeling in the cake, handed Charlie a note.
He tentatively held out his arm and took it.

"Oh, man."
"Don't open it, Charlie." Hailee said.

Charlie ignored her. He opened the slip of paper and his eyes widened. "$857..."

Hailee's eyes widened as she realised it was the check for the food.
Charlie face palmed as Averman repeated the price over and over again.

"Where are we gonna get that kind of cash?" Goldberg questioned.

***

The group had to work hard that evening to pay off their bill, which none of them where happy about.

In the end, they decided they'd get revenge. This time, they were being extremely secretive about it.

"Coast clear. Come on." Connie whispered to her friends.
They all sneaked down the hallway with ropes in their hands.

Hailee, Russ and Charlie entered the library, and towards the nest of fire ants.
"Come on guys, they don't call them Brazilian fire ants for nothing." Russ remarked.

"Do you think he's gonna notice them missing?" Charlie asked.
"I don't think he keeps a head count, Charlie." Russ replied, making Hailee snigger.

Hailee held the torch up for Charlie, so he could see, and he began to suck the fire ants out with a vacuum.

***

"Did you get 'em?" Averman asked.
"Yeah, only a couple, you know-"
"Here, use the funnel." Luis cut him off.
"Hundred." Hailee smirked.

Everyone laughed as Charlie transported the ants into the funnel.
"Drop 'em in there!"

All of the funnels were underneath the doors, and Hailee watched as the ants crawled through.

She shivered. "I would not wanna be them right now." Hailee said to Julie, who laughed.

Then came the screaming. Everyone laughed as the Warriors tried to open the doors, but they couldn't.

"Go on, go on, let 'em out, let 'em out!" Charlie laughed.
Julie let go of the ropes and the boys went flying backwards after trying so hard to open the door, before running into the hallways.

"Ow, these hurt!"
"These are burning!"

The Ducks cheered as Hailee shon her torch in Riley's face.
"You think you're funny, huh? You think you're worth a damn? You're just white trash!"

"Uh, who you callin' white trash?" Russ spoke up.
"That's right. We'll take you anytime, anywhere." Charlie said.

"Tomorrow! Dawn!" Riley said.
"What're you still doing standing here? You better get to the showers." Hailee teased with a smirk on her lips.

"Come again. Bye-bye!" Charlie mocked as they ran to the showers.
"Dinner was great, thank you!"
"Don't forget to wash behind the ears. Goodbye!"

"I'm gonna kill you guys!" Cole yelled.
"Oh, boy. I think it's time to leave." Charlie said as Cole tried to move down the hallway, but he was too tied up.
"See ya."