3. The Personal Secretary (Part 2)

Lillian

1 week later

I have been strictly punctual this past week in hopes I could hopefully make up for the... predicament that happened. So, when I came into work 2 minutes and 53 seconds early, it was no surprise. However, the small, little pink message on my desk was.

My office

I crumpled up the note and threw it into the bin before pulling myself up from my office and tentatively walking into Mr Ambrose's office. I wrung my fingers together nervously; we hadn't spoken more than "File 37XNSJ" and "Yes, Sir" all week!

I pushed open the giant door to come face-to-face with my boss. He glanced up from his papers briefly before saying : "Sit."

Now normally I'd shoot out some witty, feminist responds about how you can't just boss women around, but from the quick look he'd given me, my inner feminist and I thought it'd be the best of our interests to keep quiet.

I sat in the chair and looked at him expectantly, wracking my brain to try and figure out what he called me in for.

Mr Ambrose looked at me coldly, eyeing me up and down. Then, he plopped the daily news paper into my hands. "Read the front page."

Businessman Rikkard Ambrose Caught Kissing Another Man

"Title must have been written by morons but continue reading."

On October 23, 1839
Rikkard Ambrose, profound businessman, was scheduled for a meeting with colleague and me. We were having of high hopes to try and crack out a good memory or story out of the man, but it seems we got a secret out of him instead. The man at the front desk of the floor, who wishes to remain anonymous, lead us to the office, right on time.

The three of us knocked, and knocked, and then knocked again, yet to no avail did the door open. We started to get worried; it is no surprise that Mr Ambrose is always working. So, the worker pulled out his key ring and opened the door to his office.

In we come, ready to work for and try to dig just one good story out of the businessman, yet when we walked it, it seems there was already a story right in front of our faces.

"How long do you take to read?"

"Shut up, I'm almost done."

There Mr Ambrose was with his, seemingly very personal, secretary Mr Victor Linton. He was in between Mr Linton's legs, kissing him passionately, that is of course until he noticed he had company. They immediately stopped their osculation, Mr Ambrose cutting our interview very short. Yet, it already seemed like we got more than enough and one great story. Seems the straight as an arrow businessman wasn't so straight after all.

- Edward Watson, The London News

I stared at the paper in shock, taking it all in. "Wow."

"Wow? That's all you can say after you've just ruined my reputation?" He said, raising his voice slightly.

"Me? You kisses me, Sir."

"Yes, but you should have stopped it!"

Knowing he was very upset, I took a deep breath and tried to calm down the conversation.

"Why did you call me in here?"

"You need to quit." I open my mouth to immediately protest but he puts up a firm hand, stopping me. "Let me finish. This time it's not about safety or anything, it's about my reputation. Miss Linton, since I am very straight-"

"Well-"

"Do not even start!" he shouted. Taking a deep breath he continued on. "This time its about my reputation. I know you've only been in the business world for only a year but even with that background you know how important a good reputation is. I can't have it tarnished by this inaccuracy of a fact. So you need to quit or else you'll be fired."

I started at him in shock. "Q-Quit? There has to be an alternative to this! I am not quitting over a stupid kiss! Why don't you just tell the press I'm a woman?"

Mr Ambrose sighed - yes sighed! - and looked at me. "Reputation. If I have a woman working for me out in the known it would be almost equally as bad for my reputation, possibly even worse. I'm afraid the only solution is your quitting, but the media will know it as a firing."

I felt my heart drop in my chest. This was it. The end of my career. If I didn't quit, he now has a legitimate reason to fire me. I felt anger stir in me and tears start to trickle in, but I hastily blinked them away.

"I am not quitting, Sir."

His eyes narrowed and his fists clenched. "Fine. Then, Mr Victor Linton, you are fired on account of you tarnishing my reputation. You will receive your final check next Monday. You are dismissed." He then went back to his work, scribbling something down.

I stood up in a rage. "Fine, you know what? I'll take it; I'll be fired but not without saying something. Reputation be damned, sir! I am the best secretary you've ever had, and not even stupid fancy businessman Rikkard Ambrose can deny that! Who cares if you got caught kissing a so called, man? Who cares if you hired a woman? All of these things are just poppycock and you're letting it get to you. You're incredibly self centered and selfish and I can't even stand to look at you. You-"

"Court me." Mr Ambrose rises from his chair, the seat making a loud noise alerting me.

"Are a filthy- wait what? Court you?! Have you not been listening to a word I've been saying?"

"I have but I am sorry, my pride and reputation is much greater than your feminism. But I do need to give the press the image that I am not... well you know. So court me. I'll pay you, of course, similarly to Egypt, only this time it'll be courting and not marriage."

  I felt my heart beat a million kilometers a minute. Court him? Rikkard Ambrose?!

But, I'd be getting paid for it and since I just got fired, new work is the goal.

"I'd get the same salary as here?"

"Yes, but dates and other frivolousnesses will come out of your pay check."

I rolled my eyes. "How romantic."

"I'd like to think so. Will you accept the job?"

"Same pay?"

"Miss Linton, stupid questions are a waste of time!"

"Fine. I guess we are courting now."

To be continued...

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST BEING GAY. ITS JUST THE TIME PERIOD.

whoo now that that's said how was it?

I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile; I've been busy with school. BIT I noticed we had over 1.5k reads and I was like

:O wHAT

so I zipped onto my computer and frickin typed my ass off.

also for my hamilton fans, cAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MIXTAPE CUZ OH LORD BLESS.

anyhoo enjoy! part 3 should be posted relatively soon:)

burgersforbob