6. The Personal Secretary (Part4)

6. The Personal Secretary (Part 4)

Lillian

Mr Ambrose and I continued a structural courting, as he put it. Meaning, in my words since his were atrocious, "not real courting, but weekly meeting to make it seem so".

And the downside to all of it was, he never tried that hard to put off the image of us actually courting. I mean, it wasn't like I put in any astounding effort, but then again this was his bloody idea! All we would ever do was sit in silence or walk in silence or eat in silence, unless of course he saw another reporter and decided to scare the hellfire out of me and then proceed to smash his face onto mine, just as a demanding chauvinist would do so.

So, here we were again, taking a stroll through the city to fulfill his weekly requirements.

Part of me was sometimes a bit (but only a bit!) sad that he didn't care at all.

I mean, I do not harbor any feelings for him whatsoever, but it was quite disappointing when once a week I had to sit through 3 hours of self deprivation!

Not anymore, that is!

I suddenly stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and turned to look at him. "Mr Ambrose-"

"We're courting, Lillian. Use the proper terminology."

"Rikkard," I spat out bitterly, "I am tired of your blasé attempts of giving off a courting persona. I am getting paid, since this is my job; it'd be one he-"

Without warning, my foot stepped onto the hem of my dress and I went flying forward. I was centimeters (or so it seemed like) from hitting the hard concrete before two strong arms caught me.

Though, something felt off about them.

"Lilly?" the voice asked. My eyes widened at the sudden familiarity.

I spun around, still in his arms. "Captain Carter? Is that really you?"

"Is chocolate the greatest food invented?"

We let out genuine laughter . It felt good, a much different change from the small, one sided giggles that only I had with Mr Ambrose.

"It must be you then! I thought you were still on deployment."

"I was, but I was shot a couple of weeks ago in my shoulder and I was sent home a bit after, since it wasn't healing as well as it should have."

I sighed dramatically. "If only one of those dreadful chauvinists could have taken the blow instead of you..."

"If only," he said dreamily and over exaggerated, causing another fit of laughter to boil out of us.

Mr Ambrose cleared his throat, reminding us of his presence,  his eyes ablaze. With all the fun James and I were having, I nearly forgot about him.

But, once I caught the look in his eyes my nerves stared to come about again, in fear of some sort of punishment for not doing my job correctly. Normally, I wouldn't care, but in the heart of London, the media was everywhere.

"Oh—uh, James, this is Mr Ambrose a... business friend of mine. We were jus-"

Mr Ambrose's arm wrapped tightly around my waist. "We're courting," he spoke through gritted teeth.

"Yes, yes that too. We were just taking stroll through London. Do you want to join us?" I said, suddenly excited. I always had fun when Captain Carter was around. And who knows, maybe he could crack that stony face Mr Ambrose always wore.

Probably not, but it'd be fun to see him try.

"No," Mr Ambrose spoke out, just as Captain said: "If the lady insists."

"Great!" I said, glaring at Mr Ambrose. "It'll be fun to catch up, you telling me all about your exciting war stories and how you defeated all the chauvinistic enemies."

"Well, Lilly, we do-"

"Shh, shh," I said, motioning for him to shut up. "You're my only solider companion. Who else will fight off all the terrible men, besides me and Patsy with our deadly parasols, of course."

Before James could respond, I swear my ears are playing tricks on me now, because I somehow heard Mr Ambrose mutter: "Me."

Probably just all this fresh air getting to my head.

Captain Carter let out a hearty laugh, "If that's what makes you happy, Lilly, you think just that."

I smiled at him. "Now, tell me all about, where was it, Rome?"

I saw Mr Ambrose clench his jaw and his pinky starting to tick, but I simply ignored it.

It was my turn to enjoy myself on one of these outings, and he was just going to have to accept that.

heyo im really sorry if this chapter was shit i'm tired as balls right now; i just really wanted to post though :) but, even though it was shit, whadda think?

bUt yEA i love all of you guys and my lAWD have those reads gone up; bless you guys I love every single one of you guys, maybe even as much as wednesdays.

i'm gonna go now though, because like i said, tired as balls right now

burgersforbob