7. The Personal Secretary (Final Part)

Dirty chapter my friends ;)

7. The Personal Secretary (Final Part)

Lillian

3 months later

Over the past three months, Mr Ambrose and I have indulged in a total of 27 outings and my dear friend, Captain James Carter, has come along for 22 of them. These past five he's been off on deploy and quite frankly, they have been, how do I put this nicely?

Boring. A drag. Sluggish.

Mr Ambrose may basically be a Greek God, with the figure he has and the amount of money and power he possesses, but if he was one, he was certainly lacking in the aspect of charming women.

Maybe some women would be delighted to spend three hours with him, but for me, he was terrible at the whole charming part, and I was the most important woman of all! Besides the Queen of course.

So, here I am, siting at a small table in an almost deserted restaurant, picking at a loose string on my dress that was somehow, incredibly fascinating at this moment.

To be honest, it is sometimes quite disappointing, to go on all these meaningless outings. Mr Ambrose obviously has little interest in me, only doing this for publicity to squash the untrue rumor that the newspapers printed. There are times where, and I would never say this out loud, my heart aches a little.

But only a little. And it certainly isn't because he's neglecting me. The weather hasn't been the best lately and bad weather isn't good for anyone.

Mr Ambrose cleared his throat and I looked up from my string, raising an eyebrow. His face was as stony as ever, only half of it hidden behind a menu.

"Order, Miss Linton. The waiter is here." I looked to my left and oh! what a surprise he was right.

I let out a sigh and picked up my menu. My eyes scanned over the list of food, none of them seeming to pop out at me. I heard Mr Ambrose sigh impatiently and forcefully put down his menu.

"She will take what I'm having. Two pork steaks with teas." He hastily gave the menus to the waiter and didn't look at him again.

We sat in an uncomfortable silence, me looking at him ever so often.

"What are you staring at?" he spoke curtly.

"Oh, uh," I stuttered, flustered that he'd caught me looking at him, "Nothing, just your bow tie is a bit crooked" His tie was actually straight as an arrow, but I couldn't tell him that I was staring at him.

He quickly adjusted it and then returned to the silence we previously sat in.

"So... Nice weather today, don't you think?" I asked.

"No. The bright sun hurts my eyes. I prefer the clouded over days." I sighed. Making conversation with him was near impossible. Everything I said he retaliated with the exact opposite!

"Do you want to order some bread?" I asked, trying to stir up conversation again.

"If I wanted bread I would have asked the man when we were ordering."

"Okay."

Silence.

"Captain Carter will be back soon."

Mr Ambrose stiffened a bit. "How do you know?"

"He and I write."

"Hrph."

Silence.

I signed in annoyance. "Sir, how the hell am I supposed to court you if you never talk to me? All we ever do is have small talk that goes no where. If you want this to end, just say so, because so far, these have been a wasted three months if it wasn't for my pay checks!"