Bringing Aaron home

It’s going on midnight, and Aaron was still wide awake.  I sat in the chair beside his bed, and he was doing his best to sit up right.  He did it without problem.  “How are you feeling?” I asked.

He laughed, “I feel the same as when you asked ten minutes ago.”

                “I’m sorry, I’m just worried.  That’s all.”

                “I know, but I’ll be fine.  Don’t worry.”

With that, I didn’t ask the rest of the night.  “Well, are you even tired?”

He shook his head, “Not really.  It’s actually really annoying to try and sleep with all of these.” He pointed to the IV’s hooked up to his arm.

I nodded, “Yeah that could prove a problem.”

He shrugged a shoulder.  “You’re here, so it’s okay.” He gave me a smile, and grabbed my hand.

I cleared my throat to make my next statement.  “So, Hayden tells me you guys are moving in together?”

He looked at me for a second, “This surprises you?”

I mean, it is obvious.  I just didn’t think they would move out so soon.  Maybe they want to leave so soon so they don’t have a curfew, or rules except their own.  “I just want you to get better.”

He sighed, “The only pain I have is from staying the same position for almost two weeks.  Have you told anyone?  About me being awake and all?”

I had to think for a second, “I think I only told Lea.  And I’m sure she’ll make sure everyone knows.”

                His face went hard for a second, “What about Kale?”

I shrugged, “What about him?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Does he know?”

I gulped.  The last person I wanted to talk about or even think about.  I just shook my head.  But he wasn’t completely satisfied by my reply.  “When was the last time you saw him?” I knew I was already about to lie to Aaron already.  I looked down for a second, “He came to see me in the hospital, the day when it happened.”  I looked back up at him, and his expression hasn’t changed.

                “Wait—He came to see you?  Why?”

I waited a second before I spoke.  “He came to apologize.”

He gave me the “And…?” look, and I continued.  “I forgave him.”

Aaron’s eyes widened and rage flushed over his face.  “Why would you do that?”

                “Because I did it for me.  Unlike some people, I don’t hold a grudge.”

He shook his head, “Whatever.” He dropped my hand and turned away from me. 

                I stood up, about to walk towards the door, “Are you really going to fight with me about this?”

He crossed his arms over his chest, and didn’t look at me.  “I just can’t believe you forgave him.” He mumbled.

                “What are we?  Twelve?  Forgive and forget.  He hasn’t bothered me since.” I gulped, knowing I just lied again.

Aaron dropped his arms, and looked at me.  “I’m sorry.  I just don’t want him to hurt you.”

I sat back down, and his eyes followed me.  “You really think Hayden is going to let me go around him?” I laughed.

                “I think Hayden would kick his ass before I would.”

                “Forget about it.  Kale’s gone.”

Aaron smiled a little.  “Maybe you should get some sleep.” I stood up, bringing his blanket over him.  I bent down, leaning towards his forehead, but he stopped me by grabbing the back of my neck softly.  He brought me down, making direct eye contact.  He gave me his signature smirk, before placing a kiss on my lips.  It was small, and short.  “I’ve been waiting to do that since you walked through the door today.” He whispered.  I kissed him once more and walked over to switch the light off.  One of the nurses brought me a blanket, so I could rest on the couch that was placed against the wall, of the room.  I curled under the blanket and glanced up at Aaron before I feel asleep.

It’s been a week since Aaron has been awake.  The doctor says he’s been making amazing progress, and he’s getting released today.  I’m riding over to the hospital with his mom today, to pick him up.  I’m ecstatic for Aaron’s homecoming.  And I know he is too.  We parked the car, and I followed her inside the building.  We got to Aaron’s floor, and his mom had to sign a few forms for Aaron’s release.  While she was doing that, I made my way to Aaron’s room.  He was standing there, all dressed and ready to go.  He saw me, and smiled.  He opened his arms, and I walked into them without hesitation.  I missed his hugs.

                I pulled away from him enough to catch his eyes.  “Someone’s a bit eager.” I laughed, taking a step back after he released me.  “Well I’ve been stuck in here for a week.  That I remember anyways.  Wouldn’t you want to be out too?”

I nodded, “I was here for a week.  Drove me nuts.”

He walked over to me, lifting my face up to his.  He kissed me softly, and slowly.  I missed the feel of his lips, the feel of Aaron himself.  I just missed Aaron.  And it’s the greatest feeling knowing he’s okay. 

                The sound of the door opening pulled us apart.  I turned, and faced the door to find his mom and a doctor coming in.  They walked over to Aaron, and started discussing something, and handed him a few pieces of paper.  They bid their goodbyes, and the doctor left the room.  Aaron started reaching for his bag, but I jumped ahead of him and took it myself.  “The doctor told you not to lift heavy things.” I told him.

He rolled his eyes, giving me a smile before throwing and arm around my shoulders.  We reached the car in no time, and Aaron jumped in the back seat with me.  All I can think about is having him home finally.  It’s exciting, and relieving, and just amazing.

I walked Aaron up to his room, and dropped the bag down in his floor.  “Do you want to stay here while I shower, or do you want me to take you home first?” he asked, closing his door.

                “The doctor told you not to drive for a few days, I’ll just ask Hayden or Cody to pick me up.”

                “No one says you have to leave at all.” He removed his shirt, and walked into the bathroom, turning the shower on.  He gave me one last look before closing the door.  I texted Hayden to see if he could pick me up, and he’s with Lea right now, and he was going to be here later.  I tried Cody, but I forgot he’s out of town until next week.  So I guess I’ll be here for the next few hours.