Chapter 12

Hello my wonderful readers!:)

I was afraid I would go over my 2 weeks update time, but look! Just in time!

The beautiful banner on the side is by @QuirkyRainbows :)

--------------------

Chapter 12

"Chase!"

We turned around to see a middle-aged woman with light purple wings and her hair up in a tight bun hurrying towards us.

"Lynn! I was looking for you!" Chase said.

We had entered the castle through a side door, and Chase had led me through endless corridors and rooms, until I had no idea where I was. Seriously, this place was huge, bigger than it looked when we were flying above it.

Chase hadn't stopped to talk to anyone before this Lynn. In fact it had seemed to me as if he was avoiding people, but when I had asked he had smiled and said, "I'll have plenty of time to see my friends later, there are some things to take care of, first."

"Well, I have been looking for you, too! Aiden said you just got here." Lynn answered. "How did it go?"

Chase grimaced, "The first half, not so well." I assumed he was remembering the loss of his friend. "But, that's not important right now. This is Hailey." As he said my name, his usual easy smile returned, "and Hailey, this is Lynn, she mostly takes care of organizing things around here."

Lynn looked at me like she was assessing me, evaluating how good I was. I tried to ignore her gaze and said, "Nice to meet you."

"Same here. Now, Hailey, if you would come with me-"

"Actually," Chase interrupted as if he knew exactly what she was going to say next, "Hailey and I have had a pretty rough trip, and we'd both appreciate some rest."

They exchanged a look, and Lynn said reluctantly, "I understand. Well then come on, Hailey, I'll show you to your new room. Just follow me."

Chase and I stepped in after her, and she turned around looking at Chase slightly output. "You... You're coming, too?"

"Yes, why not?"

"Oh, I don't know... I guess I just wasn't expecting... Anyway, just follow me."

Lynn led us to a door of dark wood, which she opened with a key she fished out from one of the pockets of her dress. She then handed me the key.

"So, here's your room!"

The walls of the room were a pale green color. Next to a large window was a big hammock filled with blue and green pillows. I couldn't wait to sleep in it. In one corner of the room were a simple desk and an almost empty bookshelf; in another corner stood a big wardrobe.

"Well, I hope you like it," Lynn said. She walked over to a door. "This here is the bathroom."

There was an awkward silence, until Chase said, "Well, Lynn, I'm sure you have many other things to do, so we won't keep you here any longer."

"Oh, right. Well, then, see you around, Hailey."

She left, and Chase told me, "You have to excuse her, she's used to knowing everything that's going on, but she has no idea who you are, and I think she was hoping to get some information out of you."

"Oh, okay. Yeah, that was a bit awkward."

"So, try to get some rest, because after that you're going to meet the king of the Winged."

I looked at him uneasily. I had never met a king before, much less a king of magical people, and I had no idea what to expect.

"Don't worry, Hailey, you'll be fine. He's really nice, and he'll love you. I'll be with you, too."