Chapter 10

3 years earlier
"Hurry up!" Wyatt hissed. Colby wrapped her arms around his neck as he helped her shimmy her way out her window. He was grateful her room was ground level, making his spur of the moment, midnight date much easier to execute.

He led her to a saddled Mindy, who waited patiently just outside the fence of the Byers' estate. Bending, he offered his clasped hands to Colby, boosting her onto the mare's back. He quickly followed, seating himself comfortably in front of her, and guiding her arms around his waist.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Yes!" she whooped. He grinned, loving the way he could please her so readily. Colby was always prepared for an adventure, though she had no idea what he was up to.

They raced into the darkness, with only the pale glow of the waning moon to light their path. They laughed and teased as they rode over the fields of wild grass and flowers, enjoying the privacy the vacant pasture offered them. When they reached their destination, Colby couldn't believe her eyes.

"What'd you do this for?" she gasped, as he helped her to the ground. She was greeted by an awaiting fire pit filled with kindling, the makings of s'mores, and a picnic blanket, overflowing with pillows.

"You're leaving for the beach tomorrow for a whole month," he replied. "I wanted a little more time with you all to myself." He smiled shyly, and she was undone, bounding toward him and covering his face with kisses.

"Thank you," she whispered.

He bowed, sweeping his hand toward the blanket. "After you."

Wyatt struck steel to flint, starting a fire the way his father taught him long ago. He stoked the growing flames, pausing periodically to admire the beauty of his all-too-willing accomplice in his late-night scheming.

They curled up together, filled to the brim with marshmallows, grahams and chocolates, and watched the fire crackling.

"I'll miss you, Dodge," Colby sighed, tucking her head beneath his chin.

"You'll be all mine again soon," he said, running his fingers through the length of her silky hair.

Wyatt

Some call it homecoming week.

I know it as the week where teachers turn a blind eye to all my scantily clad classmates in the name of school spirit.

Hell, yeah.

This years' theme is Roman Holiday. Needless to say the attire this week is outstanding. It's togas and tunics galore and some of them are very short. Not gonna argue with that. Ordinarily, I don't participate in the dress up days for homecoming, but it couldn't be helped this year.