Chapter 34

**Colby and Tanzie Byers**

Colby

"Is she gonna die?" Luke asks in between muffled sniffles.

Throughout the ride to the hospital, he remained composed, probably due to Wyatt's presence. My heart is breaking just hearing him voice the question, but what hurts even more is the fact that I'm not sure what to tell him.

"I don't know," I reply honestly. I know we're losing her, and it wouldn't be fair to give him the false hope that I've clung to, only to have him learn the truth when she leaves us.

I pull him against me, draping my arm over his shoulders. He's growing up so quickly, but right now as the tears roll silently down his cheeks, he's still my baby brother. I feel like I've failed him. I've been so preoccupied with my own life, my own grief, that I haven't taken the time to make sure he's okay. He's been completely alone.

The stark white walls of this waiting room are enough to drive a person out of their mind. The sterile scent of alcohol, bleach, and citrus invades my senses, making this wait that much more agonizing. Wyatt dropped us off in front of the building, still scouring the congested lot for parking. Knowing that there's so little parking available enhances the ache already throbbing in my chest. We're not the only distraught people here.

"I'm sorry I haven't been around a lot," I begin. Luke pulls away, sitting up straight. He swipes the wetness from his face with the sleeve of his shirt, offering me a sad smile.

"I don't need a babysitter, B," he grunts, sitting on his hands. "Besides, I had Wyatt."

Luke must see the confusion as it strikes me because he doesn't wait for me to ask what he means by that.

"Alex... forgot to take me to my baseball game a couple seasons back, so I asked Wyatt for a ride," he explains. "He still comes to most of 'em, but if he can't make it, Mrs. Matheson comes."

I'm not at all surprised that Wyatt would step up for Luke, but I wish he hadn't had to.

"I come to some of your games," I say, somewhat defensively. "I've never seen him there." At least I'm not a completely absent sister.

He chuckles, and I furrow my brow. "What? I'm serious!" I assert.

"I know," he laughs, and it's nice to see him happy, even if it is at my expense. "Wyatt was at those too, he just didn't want you to see him."

Whenever I feel it's impossible to fall harder for Wyatt, he proves me wrong. Without hesitation, he would sacrifice his life if it meant he could save someone from their own struggle. I take a deep breath, looking Luke in the eye. He smirks, and I giggle.

"I'm still sorry that it had to be him there supporting you," I say.

"He's more fun than you anyway," he laughs, waggling his eyebrows at me. "He told me that you finally figured out you couldn't live without him."