Chapter 33

Wyatt

Cole turns to face me, and I'm close enough now to smell the sharp acidic scent of the rotten apple I beaned him with moments ago. He swipes a hand across the back of his neck where the fruit burst, only to fling fetid bits of pulp and peel at my face.

Bold and stupid.

The prick even has the audacity to smile as he takes a step toward me. "Haven't you had enough? Haven't you done enough?" Cole growls, so low I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who can hear him. We're about a dozen yards from the crowd now, having wandered off toward the apple grove.

All around us are the faces of anxious onlookers, undoubtedly hungering for a fistfight over Wynn's honor.

I won't oblige them.

"Colby wasn't enough for you, huh?" Cole continues, shoving me in the chest. "You just had to have Wynn, too. That's pathetic and selfish."

"Seriously, Cole?" I hiss, regaining my footing. "Wynn and I have never been a thing!"

"Well, neither have we been!" he spits. "And now I know it was because of you! You're the reason she turned me down. You have to be..." I see regret written all over his sour face, along with something else.

I'd know that dopey look anywhere.

"Hell," I say, incredulous. "You're in love with her?" I thought it was nothing but a friends with benefits scenario. Shit just got interesting.

His fist collides with my eye socket. "Never," he spews. "Not after you've had her."

"Dammit, you idiot!" I huff, clutching my eye. That's definitely gonna leave a mark. He's lucky I'm not in the mood to fight back, 'cause he'd be sorry.

"Babe!" Colby shouts from behind me, and I hear multiple sets of footsteps approaching. Hot on Colby's heels are Wynn and Ari. If I weren't hella pissed right now, I might laugh at the site of a sparkly vampire, Jolly Green Giant and Playboy bunny hurtling toward me. There's nothing funny about this though.

"Babe, are you—are you alright?" Colby pants, breathless from her sprint to reach me. She touches my eye gently, assessing the damage blooming beneath the white makeup.

"I'm fine," I say, grimacing as her fingers brush my bruising face.

"I'm sorry, Wyatt," Wynn breathes when she reaches us. She glances Cole's way, hurt filling her deep brown eyes as a fresh round of rejection washes over her.

"What was that, asshole?" Ari roars, stalking toward an indignant Cole, who squares his shoulders, unafraid of Ari's posturing. I decide I'd better put a stop to this before it becomes an all-out brawl.

"Hold up!" I bellow, bringing everybody up short. A hush falls over our gathered classmates, eager for the imminent fallout to ensue. Only I'm gonna do my very best to disappoint them all. It's none of their business.