Chapter Eight.

Maggie and Liam went out three more times that week and she had to admit it felt good to have someone to take to dinner, to see movies with but there was still something missing. She went to work every morning and in the evening she would talk to him on the phone or they'd go out but the routine didn't feel the void that she couldn't name.

On Saturday Jake called to tell her that her car was finished and Liam kindly offered to drive her to the garage where Jake worked. His car looked out of place as he pulled into the parking lot and as she climbed from the car Maggie could see Jake staring at Liam. She couldn't recall him ever having a reason to dislike Liam but he always had.

"Aunt Maggie!!!"

She smiled as Corey her 6 year old nephew and Ava her four year old niece dodged around Jake's legs to run across the parking lot towards her. Bending down she caught the small blondes in her arms hugging them close.

"We missed you at dinner last week," Corey said.

"I know buddy, I'm sorry."

"Where were you?" Ava asked.

"Hey, that's enough questions." Jake said as he approached.

Maggie fell silent as she stood, obviously he hadn't told anyone that she'd spent last Sunday at his house mostly drunk. Jake reached out handing her the keys to her car, he had barely spoke to Maggie since seeing her before her date.

"Thanks," She said with a smile.

"We're going sled riding!"Ava exclaimed, clinging to Maggies hand.

"That sounds awesome," Maggie said, sounding just as excited.

"You should come!" Ava cried.

"No, kids....let Aunt Maggie go, I'm sure she's busy."

"Oh! Please come, please!" Ava begged.

"Well....I...."

"Please?!" Corey asked.

"Well.....I...if your dad says it's okay," Maggie agreed.

"Please Daddy?" Ava turned to Jake.

"You don't have somewhere to be with Liam?"

"No."

"Sure, I'll just go lock up."

Jake gave her a once over, making her slightly uncomfortable she watched the kids rush off to join him and she turned walking back to Liam.

"I'm going to hang out with Jake and the kids for awhile, you can go."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah....I just....haven't seen the kids in awhile."

"Okay, well have fun and call me later."

"I will."

She leaned down to the window that Liam had rolled down, leaning in for a chaste kiss. That was the only kind of kiss they ever shared, short and sweet.

She watched him drive away and when she turned Jake and the kids were standing waiting for her, she smiled at them but Jake didn't return it. He also didn't seem happy that she was tagging along for the day. As the four of them walked to his truck she spoke.

"If you don't want me to go I don't have too."

"No, the kids want you to come."

"You don't?"