Chapter 4: Fa Port

Grandfather treats me well. The Fa Mansion had everything anyone needed. Moreover, grandfather to let me go to school and hired home tutors to teach me anything I wanted to learn. In return, I asked that he put me to work like any of his workers. He was reluctant at first because I was young and female, but I cut off my own long hair to prove that I was serious. Seeing so, grandfather allowed me to come with him to the Fa Port and put me to work doing small miscellaneous things like carrying small packaged items or clean and feed the horses in the stable. Grandfather never told any of the workers my relationship to him and I preferred it that way to avoid causing discomfort to anyone. With my small stature and the way I dress, people assumed I was a small boy, working hard to earn a living.

Months quickly passed and I soon grown used to living at the Fa Mansion and working at port. The Fa Family, like the Zhou, is a well-known wealthy merchant family who does trading and selling. The Fa Family is even more prominent than the Zhou since they expand their trading to foreign countries which is possible because they own one of the largest Port in the country. The one thing that I admire about the Fa Port is the people in it. The people who work for my grandfather especially are all kind and friendly. Everyone regarded me fondly as Little Lan and because I was the only child at the port, they treated me with care.

With such a warm environment, it didn't take me long to opened up to people. I found myself smiling more and talking more. Before I knew it, my heart grew more relaxed and I was able to laugh once again. I wasn't afraid of being used or bullied. The people at the port were simple - if you respect them, they will return your respect. If you show courteous to them - you will receive the same courtesy. It was my grandfather method way to live and his people followed it. And it was also the way I wanted to live and follow.