L Y N X

"What's up, Lynxie?" Cassiel asks, bouncing up from his seat, the second I enter the grand, council room. The room is ancient, an old wooden table takes up most of the room. Six chairs stand in the room, all occupied. The seventh seat awaits me.

"Shh," I hush, taking my place beside my little brother.

"What's up, Lynxie?" he repeats, this time in a quieter voice.

"Late again?" Micah asks jokingly.

I shoot a nervous look towards my father who refuses to meet my gaze. The truth was, I had taken my time, playing several pieces on my violin before joining the meeting.

"Sorry," I say in a not at all sorry tone. Turning to my brother I ask, "What are they talking about, Cass?"

Cass' wings turn a bright shade of pink. He's embarrassed.

"What is it?" I hiss. It must be a childish thing if my six year old brother is uncomfortable.

"If you had arrived earlier you would've known," my mother says quietly.

Family meetings were the worst.

"You are getting married," Father says, finally meeting my gaze. "Her name is Annabel, daughter of one of my best soldiers-"

"Annabel," I repeat bitterly. The room goes silent. "Annabel."

"Lynx," Mother whispers, glaring at me. "She's a nice girl."

The chair's legs scrape against the wooden floor as I get up hastily. I look at my parents and my four brothers who are staring at me blankly. Pretending to be surprised.

Micah, the golden boy, the child who would've been crown prince had I not been born.

Uriah, the sweet one, the boy who everyone loved with all their heart.

Taff, the one who drew up battle plans for Father and his fey soldiers.

Cassiel, little, baby Cass, whom everyone doted on.

No one dared to speak. 

"Lynxie?" Cass murmurs, his olive eyes wide with confusion. 

"You are the crown prince of Aisa," Father says slowly, as if he were speaking to a mere child. His face is expressionless, understanding even, but his wings give it away. His wings are as black as the cold night. "According to the physician, Annabel Blackwood is your best bet if you're planning on having healthy offspring-"

"Offspring," I repeat, the word harsh and foreign against my tongue. 

I spin on my heel and hurry out of the room.

---

"Where are you going?" Cass questions, watching me as I examine my neat and orderly room. I try to pack light, not knowing what might happen in the future. 

I don't know where I am going, but I try to think up an answer. I always have an answer for Cassiel, and now is not an exception.

"The mortal lands," I answer, grabbing my violin. I tucked it neatly into its case, taking care not to bend the bow or snap any of the strings. It is a hand-made gift, created by a faerie merchant.

Cass frowns and stops his fidgeting. "What for? Is Annabel Blackwood that horrible?"

"No, no," I say restlessly, throwing open the door to my closet and looking through piles of clothes. "It has nothing to do with Annabel. It's just..I don't want to be a king. I can't."

"I want to be king," my baby brother sighs dreamily..

I grab my nearest satchel and jammed various items into it.

"Micah will be king. We all know that," I inform him. "I want to be a musician." Silence. "There's no music in the kingdom of Aisa. In the mortal lands..there are."

"But there are liars and traitors," Taff whispers, entering my room gracefully. "Murderers and adulterers. Kidnappers and thieves. You wouldn't survive."

"Oh, how I love you," I say, smiling sadly. I throw my bag to the ground and pick up the violin. I want to go with only this, my prized possession. I blow a kiss to Taff and Cassiel, unfold my leathery, colorless wings, and jump out the window.