K I E R R A

Y E A R   2 0 1 7

I woke up to find a strange boy before me.

It was like waking up from a deep sleep- the type of sleep that drags you down into the dark pits of chaos, not at all like the type that refreshes you and gets rid of those annoying dark circles below your eyes.

Mama always told me I needed my beauty sleep, but I had scoffed and brushed it off.

Suddenly it hits me like a tidal wave in December, cold and sharp. The trees..they had been calling for me.

"Hello," the boy says, startling me. I look up and found myself staring into his gleaming, golden eyes. It was as if I were in a trance..

I yelp, giving myself a little shake. The last thing I needed was to be hypnotized by a strange creature again..whether it be trees or boys..

I whirl around and sprint out of the woods.

---

The dirt paths weren't dirt paths anymore; instead they were replaced with uncanny cement roads, roads that stretched for miles and miles. I timidly step onto the edge of the road. The smooth texture of the road feels cool against my bare feet.

"You better watch out, girl," a pedestrian remarks, staring at my shredded, cotton dress skeptically.

I step away, just in time to see a blur rush past me.

A monster?

"A car," the pedestrian says, still giving me a strange look. "Ever seen one?"

Her companion leans over and whispers something along the lines of, "Why are you talking to that hobo?"

I watch as she looks at me one more time before hurrying away.

A lot has changed. I suddenly think about my beloved parents and my little sister. How much time has passed?

My stomach drops, fast and sudden. I need to get help.

I turn around, looking up at the monstrous skyscrapers. 

Do they really scrape the sky, I wonder? Or is it just another lie?

"Come, Kierra," the trees whisper again. "Come to us."

I shake my head, and clench my shaking hands. Before anymore of those metal monster...cars pass by, I run across the street and into the city that was once called home.