Part 14

Rudr was pacing in RK’s room as he tried to find a way to break the news to his father. actually, it was not even a news but a doubt but what if his doubt turns out true? That could either make or break Rishu’s life.

“Will you stop running around and tell me what you are doing in Rishu’s room?” Kuku asks him irately.

Rudr stops and turns to look at his father, “Dad, when Rishu had that accident, wasn’t it your friend who treated him?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Where is he now?” Rudr asks him.

“He passed away two years ago… why? What is it?” Kuku asks him frowning.

“Dammit!” Rudr says furiously as he went about to look for Rishu’s medical reports.

“What are you looking for?”

“Rishu’s medical reports.”

“What for?” Kuku asks as panic set in.

Rudr looks at him to answer him and stops seeing his expression, “Why do you look so panicked?”

“I am not.” Kuku replies trying to act relaxed. “Why are you looking for them?”

Rudr studies his father for a while and then in a chilling voice says, “Rishu always says that I never think of the obvious and my brain always goes the twisted way, so I am going to ask you and if I am wrong then I am sorry. Did you have anything to do with Rishu’s medical reports?”

“WHAT? NO! How could you even ask me that?” Kuku asks him furiously.

“I don’t know Dad, you tried to create problems between Madhu and Rishu, so I just… I am sorry.” Rudr replies and walks off.

************************

Sometimes sound of silence is so scary and he was listening to that scary silence as he tried to shut out the rest of the world as he tried to understand what was happening.

“You are. It’s exactly seven weeks.”

He hears someone saying that from somewhere far away. His heart had stopped beating, blood had stopped flowing to his brain because suddenly he felt brain dead. Nothing made any sense anymore. Then he hears a very familiar feeble voice from far away, or it felt from far off even though she was right here next to him.

“Rishabh… I’ll not let you kill my baby.”

Suddenly his mind exploded with questionings. Baby? Madhu is pregnant? How can she be pregnant? And how could she do this to me? And did she say that she will not let me kill the baby? Because the baby is not mine? I need air. I need to be alone.

RK turns around and walks out ignoring Madhu calling out to him.

RK walks out as he tried to clear his mind, I need a smoke. RK frantically checks his pocket and realizes that he had left his cigarette in the car and goes to the car park area. RK opens the car and takes the cigarette and lighter out. Leaving his phone on the car seat he lights the cigarette with shaky hands.

Baby. Pregnant. Doesn’t Madhu love me? How could she… he couldn't even think of her with someone else then how could she be with someone else? Did I mean so little to her? How could you, Madhu? RK drops to his knees as the emotional pain suddenly felt physical. I was going to ask her to marry me and she was pregnant all this while with someone else’s baby? When was she meeting other people? RK closes his eyes shut tight to shut out the questions screaming in his mind. They were so happy. He wanted to go back to this morning when everything was perfect. When he was sure of her love and believed her to be only his but was she ever his? If I didn’t mean anything to her then why did she come back? Why didn’t she go to the other man? For how long has she been cheating on me? The baby was seven weeks! RK thinks back to how they were seven weeks ago was it during the time she was being indifferent to him? No, that wasn't… then? I was in Banglore then. RK shouts out in anger and pain.