Chapter Five: No, They Don't Matter

The ride back to the base was quiet- besides Jordan still eating his food. At least we were able to use up the tickets Lynn gave us and get some food before the festival ended.

Lynn, I thought.

Barely the first thing she did was try to play cupid. I wanted to laugh at that. And I was surprised at how easily she read the guys. I was truly happy she cared, but she shouldn't have done something like that. But still...

I don't know how to handle these conflicted emotions for them.

Suddenly the car was put to an abrupt stop.

I don't know about these emotions either.

Confusion. Panic. Fear.

"What happened?" I asked. "Is everyone alright?"

"Yeah, sorry," Bennett muttered. "I was looking at my phone and I wasn't paying attention."

"Texting while driving, you were supposed to be the responsible one, Bent," Declan told him. "You could've hurt us."

"Who cares about us! You could've hurt the food," Jordan wailed.

"Shut up," Bennett growled at them, before glancing back at his phone again.

I was hesitant. "Is everything alright, Bennett?"

The stoplight became green and the car started moving once more.

"No, I mean yes," he was quiet, struggling with his words. "Everything is fine. I'm sorry for doing that, I wouldn't do anything to hurt you guys." He put his phone in his pocket. "Maybe them, but not you."

I looked down at my lap, feeling a bit warm. "Oh, ok."

"If you don't want your food, you're free to give it to me," Jordan said as we walked into the base.

"No wonder you wanted it protected," Declan muttered. "You only wanted it for yourself."

"Oh no, you've seen through me," Jordan said deadpanned.

"It was still nice of Lynn to give them to us," I told them, not wanting them to argue again.

Jordan nodded. "I like her."

"You do?" I asked.

"Probably because she gave us free stuff," Declan said.

"Oh c'mon, do you think I'm that superficial?"

Bennett coughed. "Kinda."

"I mean as a person," Jordan defended. "You guys are so mean. You should learn from her."

"Wasn't she kinda mean in the beginning," Declan huffed. "Acting like... I don't know. She was messing with us, all of us."

"She was probably playing Cupid," Jordan said. "With us."

Declan turned to see Jordan right in front of his face with his usual big grin. But it was gone when Declan shoved his face away making him flip over the couch.

"Jordan!" I exclaimed as I raced to him. "Are you okay?"

He looked longingly up to me, his green eyes seeming to sparkle even more brightly than before. Jordan's hand reached up to me, grasping my hair gently.

He whispered, "Naomi, I need to tell you..."

"What is it?"

"Declan is secretly in love with me."

"Step away Naomi," Declan said, standing above me. "I'm going to kill him. And I don't want you to see this.

"He's all yours."