Ch. 2

i don't know if this scene includes a trigger warning but to be safe, i put three stars * right before the scene in case it's something someone doesn't want to read.

*

"I found something on Zoey," Liam said the next morning. I looked up from my computer and he looked somewhat concerned, but also slightly guilty of something. "I found her phone downtown, but it was thrown in a trash can." He presented to me a black cell phone and placed it on my desk. "I looked through it's recent calls and there's a number that was showing repeatedly in her call log."

The vibe Liam was giving off was a little unsettling, so I hesitantly asked, "Did you trace it?"

"Yeah, but it's not to Tyler, it's to some guy named Sean Dwyer. He's a --,"

"A family friend." I finished. I had talked to the father yesterday after I left the White House, and he talked about his relation to Dwyer. He was extremely creepy, but we couldn't just point fingers. "Can you contact Dwyer and see if you can get anything out of him?"

"Already did." He confirmed, and his eyes began to look everywhere but mine. With his thick, furrowed eyebrows covering his irises, you almost wouldn't have noticed it, but I always notice those things with Liam.

I swallowed and treaded carefully. "What did you do, Liam?"

"I didn't kill him." He said, and I felt a small hint of relief, but just because he didn't kill Dwyer didn't mean he didn't hurt him.

"Liam, I --,"

"I didn't kill him." He repeated. "But I know where Zoey is."

I took Emily and Liam with me to the site that Dwyer had revealed for Zoey's location. An abandoned gas station outside of town came into view, and I quickly pulled over, hopping out of the car and nearly running to the old building.

"Rose, wait!" Liam said. "It could be a trap."

"Zoey is in there." I said after I turned to face him.

"I'll go." He said.

"I thought you said it was a trap?" Emily said, and Liam started walking toward the empty building. "I'd rather risk my life than allow either of you to."

It seemed like forever when Liam disappeared into the station, and I could feel my phone buzzing in my pocket. I looked down eagerly to see if it was him, but again, the call was coming from inside the White House and I didn't have time to answer. I shoved my phone back in my coat pocket and anxiously awaited Liam's return with Zoey.

"Should I go in after him?" Emily said hesitantly. "He's been gone for a while."

"He'll be fine." I said, trying to convince her as well as myself. I trusted Liam with my life. I didn't doubt his ability to save another's.

A few minutes later, he walked out carrying a limp body in his arms. I rushed over to him with Emily at my heels.

"She's alive." He said. "But barely. We need to get her to a hospital now."

*

After contacting Zoey's father and sister, they arrived at the hospital to finally be reunited. I smiled as Lauren rushed to her side, tears streaming down her face as she grasped Zoey's hand and knelt down beside her. Their father stood in the doorway ofor a few moments before walking over to his daughter's side, leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and I then realized I hadn't checked my messages or calls. I looked down and saw multiple missed calls from the White House. I bit my lip, wondering if I should return the calls; was it Niall? Or was it Harry? I didn't know who I'd be more afraid to speak to, especially after the incident yesterday.