Ch. 5

Niall was the only thing standing between any interaction the President and I tried to have. Even though it was one hundred percent business professional, he never let his gaze trail from either one of us.

Leaving the White House was probably the best and worst thing I'd ever done. I truly did need to separate myself from Harry because what we had was extremely inappropriate, but I missed being a part of something so important and so powerful. Even with my own firm and being my own boss, that subtle longing feeling of being back in the White House always lingered in the back of my mind, and in my heart.

I left my office, knowing fully well I needed to get out of this building or I wasn't going to get anything done today. We had hit a standstill trying to find Lisa Benson, and we had no other leads. Emily and Sam has gone together to talk to both Mark and Amanda at their home, while Liam was doing some extra investigating on the black SUV.

The elevator chimed just as I was walking towards it, and Emmett Carver emerged with a few of his team members.

"Emmett," I said, forcing a smile. It wasn't always fun and games when the Attorney General of the United States enters your office building. "Wasn't expecting you."

"I know," he stated plainly. "I just wanted to stop by and say hello."

"You're never the type to just stop by to check up on people, Emmett," I frowned. "Why are you here?"

He sighed and stuffed his hands in his pockets, looking down at me with raised eyebrows and said, "You're investigating the Benson case which you know you are not allowed to be involved with."

"Says who?"

"Says the Federal Bureau of Investigation." He scoffed with his stupid smirk. "Roslynn, I know you're trying to do something and make a statement or whatever with your little firm of lawyers —,"

"We're not lawyers." I interrupted.

"Whatever. But it's no longer in your hands and you need to let the FBI take over."

"Or what?"

"Or I can have you arrested for obstruction of justice. Take your pick."

I pressed my lips together, knowing fully well I couldn't fight with the Attorney General. But I had sources and I knew I could win this fight. He took my silence as an answer and turned on his heel, waving his hand as he said, "Have a nice day, Ms. Carter."

*

I paced my office that afternoon, trying to think of ways to get both Emmett and Niall off my case for both of their ridiculous reasonings. Emmett knows I won't back down without a fight, he's known me for too long to let that go straight over his head. Niall, on the other hand, is one of my best friends. He's going to be a lot harder to negotiate with to let me speak to or visit the President.

My phone buzzed, and I noticed the White House ID flashing on the screen. I frowned; there's no reason for anyone to be calling me from the White House. Niall would make sure that Harry was never in contact with me.

I picked up my phone and answered, "Hello?"

"Rose? It's Audrey."

"Audrey, hi," I said, slightly surprised that she would be calling me. "How can I help you?"

"Well, I don't know if you can figure this out for us, but I knew you'd be the best person to ask," she began. "Reporters are hounding the Speaker of the House and Niall about where the President is and what he's doing. He hasn't had an appearance since the attack and now they're wondering why he's hiding."