2 - In the Halls of the King

Darkness was all she saw on her way to the Elvenking's palace

Darkness was all she saw on her way to the Elvenking's palace. The steady trotting of hooves made her dizzy and if she had not been so preoccupied and anxious about her future she might have even dozed off. Unknown sounds and unfamiliar smells swirled around her, surreal like a dream and still awkwardly present, a deviant reality beyond the normality she knew. Thranduil maintained his grip on her body firm throughout their journey, creating a strange combination of both comfort and menace. The warmth of his body was as palpable as was the coldness of his countenance, a lucid fire smouldering underneath a coat of ice. 

The elk responded to Thranduil's slightest commands without any words, his motions swift and steady despite its double cargo. After what felt like an endless meandering through winding pathways and across narrow creeks they finally drew near their destination. They were slowing down considerably, the distinct rataplan of hooves on cobblestone accompanied by a gurgling rush of water and an ample echo suggesting the crossing of a bridge.

They came to a halt and at a sharp command from Thranduil the hollow creaking of massive stone doors on their hinges being pulled open cut through the silence. A bustling of voices greeted them as she was being led into the Elvenking's palace. How much she wished that she could just pull away the cloth from her eyes and look around, such a strange and marvellous place this must be just by the sound of it. But she had made a promise and as hard as her patience was now tried she would not give in to curiosity, not yet at least.

Thranduil dismounted, his hand reaching out for hers indicating that she was supposed to do the same. "Come," he said. "You will be led to my chambers while I attend to pressing matters that  have reached me as we arrived. You will be treated as my guest, there will be food and clothing should you wish so. But you are not to leave my quarters without my consent, under no circumstances. Do you understand?"

Anna nodded and it was clear to her that she was not really just his 'guest' but more of an almost-prisoner until he knew what to do with her.

"This is all very confusing for me. Can I at least ask you to take off my blindfold? I assure you that I am not a spy of whatever sort you may think."

The silence beside her could only mean that he was pondering his decision.

"And I promise I will not try to escape, if that helps," she added quickly to further emphasise her honest intentions.

"Not yet; we will see about that later. Go now, my guards will lead you to my chambers." He cut her off abruptly and before she could reply she was swept away by guards on either side.

°°°°°°°°°°

How many hours went by until Thranduil came to see her in his chambers she did not know, but the fact that he had literally left her in darkness for so long had cast a shadow on her spirit. She felt lonely, abandoned and disoriented like an orphaned child. Even though she was intimidated by Thranduil's commanding attitude, his presence had also meant that she was most likely protected from whatever other evil things which might befall her in this strange world. Not knowing where she was and what was her fate she had refused food and drink and decided to remain on the bench the guards had led her to, eventually giving in to tiredness and lying down. She pulled her knees up and wept herself into a dreamless sleep.