17 - A King's Command

The stars were barely visible on the jet black dome that spanned above Dale, their silver gleam dimmed behind the stubborn veil of clouds that had brought the first snow into the valley

The stars were barely visible on the jet black dome that spanned above Dale, their silver gleam dimmed behind the stubborn veil of clouds that had brought the first snow into the valley. Despite the late hour there was a busy rush of elves and men going about their business, the ruined city alive with unusual bustle. Finishing touches were given to weapons, supplies were distributed and in between it all the elves still found the time and leisure to light up the night with their melodious singing voices. Ethereal and otherworldly they floated above the dissonant harmonies of metal against stone and noisy chatter, like beautiful images of springtime in the forest that was but a long lost memory in this forsaken wasteland.

"Don't walk so fast! Or are you in a hurry to get away from me?" Faeldir teased Amardir as he struggled to keep up with his brother's brisk pace.

The two made their way through the rows of elvish tents that were closely huddled together, as if they were seeking assurance in each others company in this place that was still haunted by the ghosts of its violent past. Amardir only threw him an annoyed look over his shoulder, he was clearly not in the mood for his little brother's light-headed bickering.

"You know very well that we must make haste. It is the king's command and not my wish."

"That is what you say, but I heard it loud and clear when you offered yourself for this mission," Faeldir countered as he clutched the cumbersome shape of their father's shield in front of him like the most prized possession, the grey cloth wrapped haphazardly around it. Amardir was determined not to let himself be dragged into an argument with his brother, after all he needed to focus on the task that lay ahead of him.

"It was my duty and that should suffice. We both have our duties to fulfil, so you will do yours as I will do mine," Amardir said rather gruffly, intent on closing this topic, but alas, he should have seen his brother's stubbornness coming.

"But the king could have at least allowed me to go with you. I do not like the taste of this dreadful place he is sending you." Faeldir kept on nagging as they hurried past crumbled remains of houses abandoned long ago, silent witnesses of the dreadful time when death on its heated wings had razed them like a tempest of fire.

"That is not for you to decide and you know that very well."

Amardir suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned to face his brother, who had caught up and now nearly bumped into him. Faeldir stared at him, taken aback by the harsh tone in his brother's voice and tightening his grip around the crumpled package in his arms. His lower lip trembled as he sought to keep his poise, the snowflakes settling like tiny stars on his brown hair.

"I know that he is our king but I also know that my place is with you. Thranduil does not need me here. He has an entire army to fight for him!" Faeldir said with a defiant glare in his eyes.

Amardir couldn't help but smile at his little brother's words. He knew how much his younger brother adored him and how little fondness he had for the idea of him being sent on a dangerous mission.