40 - Determined

With every heartbeat I have left I will defend your every breath

I will defend your every breath.
(Sleeping At Last: Light)

"My lord?" Tauriel's voice pulled Thranduil out of the torrent of despair that threatened to drown him.

He rose from the floor with Anna, holding her tight to his chest, facing both Tauriel, Thalion and Aradan who had followed after him.

"Why was no one with her?" His gaze of ice went to his guard Thalion.

"She wanted to be alone and was adamant about not being disturbed, my lord," Thalion said apologetically. "We were not aware that she was unwell."

"She is not simply unwell. She is burning up and I am taking her to my chambers." He had quickly recovered his determination. There might come a day when he would be defeated, but it was not this day.

"Tauriel, fetch me hot water, fresh linens and athelas!"

"Yes, my lord," Tauriel obediently went on her way.

"Thalion, find Brethilwen, and be quick about it. We must not lose any more precious time."

"Of course." He bowed quickly and was gone, obviously relieved to make himself useful.

Thranduil rushed her to his chambers, Aradan teetering behind him, and then he carefully laid her down on his bed, covering her with his enormous quilt. A breathy sigh escaped her lips as he bent over her face.

"Hold on, my little flower," he told her, kissing her forehead. "Don't let go!"

He unbuttoned his robe with flying fingers and tossed it carelessly onto his dresser. Then he proceeded to roll up the sleeves of his tunic, his eyes never leaving Anna. What if he was too late? He would never forgive himself for having left her alone when she needed him most. The thought of her being in pain all by herself caused a dreadful knot in his stomach.

Tauriel appeared with two servants, who brought a bowl of hot water and a pile of fresh linens. They placed the requested items on the large bedside table and awaited the king's orders.

"You may leave." He waved them away impatiently. "Why is Brethilwen not here yet and why did you not bring any athelas?" He threw Tauriel a dark glance, and then proceeded to swiftly loosen the upper buttons of Anna's dress.

"Brethilwen will be here shortly, my lord. Thalion had to go and search for her in the healers' ward. She was helping out the healers who are taking care of the wounded soldiers."

Before Thranduil could retort, Brethilwen swept into the king's chambers, a bundle of athelas in one hand and her satchel in the other.

"I came as fast as I could, my lord," she greeted the king and one glance at Anna made her get right to work beside Thranduil.