The Second Time Around

Florence felt a thousand times more at ease today than she had been on the day of her other wedding, perhaps it was the fact that instead of having a big extravagant event she and Cole had opted for a backyard wedding at her parents house with a white marquee put up the day before, she also didn't have any stylists or makeup artists, just Cooper armed with a massive makeup bag and curlers.

Her dress was beautiful, sweeping white, tight at the top and loose at her mid-riff, at eight months pregnant she was positively massive, but instead of feeling bloated and tired she felt more energetic than ever, this was something she really wanted, she wasn't running anymore, she was going to marry Cole today with all the people she loved watching.

At one point in her life if you'd asked Florence if she would ever get a happily ever after, she would have replied with an adamant no, happily ever after's weren't for the likes of her, not broken girls who had to be hospitalised.

But she'd been nudged gently along the path to happiness and now she couldn't stop smiling at her reflection in the mirror, Cooper told her off crossly for messing up her mascara.

There was a knock on the door.

"Who is it? I'm getting the bride ready in case you didn't know, there's a sign on the door"

Florence turned around expecting Annie, she was helping Cooper with her hair, but instead to her surprise saw Levi, wearing an odd expression on his face.

"I know this might not be the best time to interrupt ladies but Miss Silverstone would you mind if I had a private word with Florence?"

Cooper seemed to sense the undertones of urgency in his voice because she quit fussing with her eyeshadow brush, shot a fleeting glance at Florence and left the room.

Levi sat down heavily on the chair she had vacated, he looked smarter and older than she'd ever seen him before, his whole head of hair was now silvery grey, instead of his usual rumpled polo shirts he wore a pressed dress shirt and black trousers.

He took her hand.

"Florence, I've been battling with a problem these past few weeks, you've been so happy every time I've seen you recently, like your a brand new person, I know your life has really looked up and I'm immensely proud of who you've become, but like the past does, it has come to haunt us once more, Chase didn't just leave you one final letter, he left another one in my possession that I never mentioned to you for fear that it would break you. But your strong now, so strong"

He took a white envelope out of his suit pocket and Florence's heart gave a dull thud.

"Chase knew that one day you would become someone great, and achieve greatness and he once told me his greatest regret about his illness would be the fact that he wouldn't be able to be there for some of your most important moments, so to compensate for being absent at possibly the most crucial day of your life, he gave me this letter to give to you on your wedding day..."

She didn't wait for him to finish before grasping the letter out of his hands, she needed to know, this was actually her last connection to him, she needed to know that even though he wasn't here he was still somehow connected to her.

"I'll leave you to read that in peace" Levi reached forwards and clasped her face.

"I haven't read what's in there, it wouldn't have been right but I hope you can gain some comfort from his words"

She didn't even hear him leave, she was too busy tracing the looped letters of her name on the front of the envelope, she prised it open like the most precious jewels in the world were contained inside.

Florence,

If Levi's given you this letter than there is only one explanation, today is your wedding day, firstly congratulations, I've never doubted for a second that your a fighter, that you would continue to battle through life with a determination not possessed by many, I've probably been gone for quite a while now but wherever I am and wherever you are know that I'm thinking of you always.

Reading this might cause you guilt, but please don't ever feel guilty about anything you accomplish in this amazing life that's been gifted to you, your free to love and explore and make your mark on the world like I know you will, for me this is the present, we're still together but for you it's not, I'm so glad that you've moved on and managed to find someone worthy of you because you should never underestimate your worth.

I hope this day will be one of the best in your life, I hope that you'll smile more than you've ever smiled before and love with such an intensity that your heart is alive again, your not broken anymore I know your not and this is your day, your day to shine.

I'm not telling you to forget me, I'm telling you to never be afraid of loving anyone, I want you to move on, I'd never wish for you to be miserable your entire life, the people we love manage to shape us in their small ways, so remember always that I love you but that love isn't meant to be a shackle, and if it feels like that to you I'm handing you the key to undo those shackles.

I love you, and I'm so proud of you, give Levi a hug from me and go and do extraordinary things

Love, Chase

Cooper came flying into the room at the sound of Florence's loud sobs, arms raised like she expected someone was attacking her best friend.

She saw the letter on the floor and didn't even open her mouth to complain about the makeup which was now probably streaking down Florence's face, she got on her knees and stroked her hair, not asking what was in the letter because she knew better.

Ten minutes later Florence composed herself, those tears had been inevitable but the final piece had clicked in, this was going to be her day, she had written approval from Chase, she sent a silent prayer to the heavens that he knew how much she had loved him.

She took a deep breath and then sat on the makeup stool once more, a smile back on her face she felt like he was beside her smiling at her, urging her that she was going to be awesome, the most stunning bride Phillipson had ever seen.

"I'm getting married" she hiccuped to Cooper.

"Yes you are honey, and I'd like to see that radiant smile again" she handed Florence the letter tightly folded.

Florence smiled, she was free.

Free to love Cole till death do them part.