Chapter 21

To my luck, my locker opened swiftly after punching in the combination for the lock. I stared blankly at the books in front of me, seeing nothing but blur. My thoughts were at a constant stir; everything occurred in my mind was clouded up by my negative mindset.

I pushed my hair behind me ear and grabbed my Pre-Calculus book. I huffed knowing that I possibly have to sit next to Landon again. At this point, I wish I had never gave Landon the benefit of the doubt. I wish I could've turned back time; accept Colton's confession, and deny Landon's apology. A bad boy can never change.

"You can just skip class," Colton disrupts my thought as we both stare at my workbook. We both knew what class I have, and who was in that class. Colton managed to piece together that Landon and I had a miscommunication; however I don't believe he knows the whole story that have went down.

I shook my head in response, knowing how much my dad treasures me going to my classes.

Colton sends me a soft smile, as he takes a stop towards me, "If you need anything, I'll always be here," he says, in almost a whisper. He brushes his hand against my cheek. As his eyes lands on mine, I felt comfort and protection. I couldn't help but release a gentle smile, his body softened.

"There's that beautiful smile," he lightly chuckles, switching his focus between my eyes and lips.

Colton lets go of my face as I closed the locker door that was behind me. I pressed my palms against the door and pushed it with a little force before the locker clicked closed. From my peripheral vision, I saw a glimpse of Landon; jumping to my feet. I bit my lower lip in nervousness before turning back, fully facing Colton.

He walked in with his hair gelled up, a large grey trench coat with a black polo tee underneath. He has khaki pants and designer shoes. Landon's uptight clothing never tend to bother anyone in this school.

I attempted to hide behind his big body structure. I glanced out over Colton's shoulder as I see Landon keeping his eyes right on me. As he walks slowly, his eyes never left mine. His eyes were filled with blankness, nothing but a cloudy vision. I furrowed my eyebrows, fist clenching in anxiousness and anger.

"What did I tell you about not getting her involved?" a familiar voice starts to echo down the hallways.

Students start to get quiet, as a scene quickly erupts where Landon last made eye contact with me. Colton and I turned towards the voice, as we watch Isaiah stomping down the hallway with his duffel bag across his body. His fist clenched, his broad shoulders seems to almost rip through his track jacket as, as all that shows on his face was pure anger.

Landon stood there, facing Isaiah as both of them were only a foot apart.

"I told you, not to get her involved!" Isaiah yells, so loud that students were even feared by his haunting deep voice. Instead of rushing towards to watch the fight this time, students froze in place as everyone was caught off guard by the confrontation.

Is he talking about me?

Colton turns back over to me, as he grabs my shoulders, shaking me, "What did you do?" he hissed under his breath in worrisome. He throws his hands all over my body, grabbing my face to check for any bruises or scars, as well as my arms.

I stayed silent as I kept my eyes on Isaiah and Landon.

Landon didn't response to Isaiah, instead the two just stood there staring at each other in the eyes increasing the tension in the hallway.

"Aubrey?" Bella's voice was soon heard as she was seen rushing down the hallway. Bella grabs my arms, in curiosity of the situation.

"I told you," Isaiah speaks up finally, stepping closer to Landon, "I fucking told you!" he screams in anger as he uses his hands to violently shove Landon back. Landon stumbled back, staying silent.

"I gave you a fucking chance!" Isaiah continues to spit. In just a second, Isaiah shoved Landon again; so hard that Landon lost balance and fell against the concrete floor. Without giving Landon a chance to move, Isaiah threw his body on top of Landon's and begins throwing punches.

Déjà vu flashed back in my head as the scene from the beginning of the school seemed to switch roles. Now, Landon was lifelessly straddled under Isaiah, and Isaiah gave no mercy. Students watched, secretly recording the two most popular and successful boys fight.

Landon lost the effort to try to defend himself; instead he just sprawled across the floor as blood start to drip out of his nose, soon out of his lips. His chokes and groan seemed invisible to everybody; as if they lost a sense to hear. Just like the situation where the boy was found harassing his girlfriend.

My eyes widened at the sight. Although I felt appreciative that Landon has finally got the punishment he deserved; something in my body felt broken as I see him possibly almost passing out on the floor.

I took a step forward before feeling Bella grab my waist, and swiftly pushing herself on top of me, "No," she demanded, "You're not getting involved again! Not this time Aubrey!" she cries as she forces my lifeless body against the lockers.

I shook my head as tears started to form in my eyes, my body shaking from the appearance of Landon getting harmed, "Do something!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, almost begging for support, "Somebody please do something!" I managed to spit out before letting out a loud sob.

The moment Colton sees me begging for help, he jumps to his feet. Without hesitation, he made his way towards Isaiah and Landon; sticking his arm under Isaiah's underarm as he manages to pull Isaiah off Landon.

"You fucking prick! You're fucking useless! I tried to fucking help you because I care and you end up hurting another person!" Isaiah screams as veins popped out above his shoulder. His face was turning red, his body was shaking as he tries to pull himself away from Colton; facing Landon. Colton has just enough power to drag the soccer player black, before switching places as he holds Isaiah against the lockers. Isaiah soon stopped fighting back, leaning his head against the wall as his fist was almost busted open; bleeding uncontrollably.

Bella had her body almost hugging me, keeping me in place and comforting me. Uncontrollable tears fell from my eyes, seeing Landon laying helplessly on the floor without anyone to help. His eyes were still open but staring up in the air; at nothing. He knew he was defeated, he knew he had to accept it.

I took a deep breath, before looking at Bella, "I'm sorry," I whispered before violently shoving Bella off of my body. She stumbles as she called my name, attempting to grab my hand before I got out of her reach.

I ran up to Landon, grabbing the back of his neck as I stared at his bleeding face. He smiles at me for a bit, before looking back at me with sorrow. I managed to help Landon up in a sitting position. After he was able to be stable, he brushed me off, removing my hand and lightly pushing me away from him.

"I'm helping—" Landon interrupts me.

"Don't."

I furrowed my eyebrows together, as Landon was able to get up in a standing position, limping his way out of the hallway. Colton released Isaiah a second afterwards, as Isaiah looks at me deeply before walking off towards the opposite direction.

I was left on my knees. I was confused as to why I was denied from his treatment; I was genuinely trying to help.

Bella sighs as she grabs me by my hand, helping up before fixing my hair, "You're so stubborn, Aubrey."

My tears quickly dried up as I shook my head from the incident, "Stupid." I mumbled under my breath. Colton came back to us, and smiles at both of us, "Aubrey was just trying to be the hero again," he releases a chuckle, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

- - - 

gasps

reverse psychology

jk

okbye

x apricitys