Seventeen

The next morning was a battle between Lewis's medium roast coffee and the bottle of Pinot Grigio from the night before – the wine was winning. My sights were blurring as I measured the stack of folders that Peters had dug out of the Archives for me. I wanted to become familiar with all of the usual suspects. Perhaps our kidnapper had a record, perhaps not. But in my experience, when dealing with crimes like this in a small town like this – it is often one of the usual suspects.

"Mornin' sunshine." The old man had kept his sarcasm through all these years. He refilled my coffee and slid me three Advil, noticing the awful look on my face and the stray strands of hair that had fallen over it.

"Thanks..." I threw back and used my coffee to wash them down.

"Long night?"

"Hard to be back..." I shrugged.

"I get it," he assured me with a gentle hand on my shoulder. Some people would question me or judge me for being hungover during an investigation, but not him. He just left me alone to review the case files stacked before me. I got a comforting feeling that I was being protected in that booth. Like my father was looking after me, making sure that no one bothered me.

A chime sounded over the door as someone entered the diner. Officer Peters walked in and approached the counter.

"How you doing, Lewis?" he asked, paying his respects.

"Oh fine, any leads?" the other patrons' ears perked up. Conversations halted and silverware clanged on plates, making way for a silent chord to strike through the diner. They lifted from their meal and listened for the answer. The news of Jeremy's disappearance had swept through the town and was becoming more and more a subject of town speculation. It struck me that Lewis asked Peters upon seeing him, when I had been sitting in his booth for the last two pots of coffee. Lewis was obviously interested in the case as was everyone, but he refused his urge to ask me –out of respect for my space and privacy.

"You know I can't speak on an ongoing investigation..." he announced. Then he saw the worried faces sitting in the diner and offered an optimistic message. "...but we are closer to finding him!"

Peters tried to inject a dose of hope. He knew that what he said would spread. It was as good as a press conference. He had to speak to the town – not just Lewis.

"If anyone knows anything or sees anything suspicious, you know to call Donna down at the station. We are following all leads. Also, there is a town hall meeting tonight for anyone who would like more information on the case." He addressed the rest of the diner, directly. There were silent nods and then they continued their plates of breakfast. Peters found me and plopped down in the booth across from me.

"How's homework going?" he asked, referencing to the files in front of me.

"Fine... seems like a couple of guys, developed a record while I was going." Something had been itching at me since the prior day and I had to bring it up. "What do you think about Jack Saunders?"

Peters lifted up, surprised by the mention of his name. At first, he didn't know how to respond as if he had never casted judgment on him before.

"He's a good guy. Kind of a town nobleman. People think he would make a good successor for Mayor Hughes once he finally retires."

"Any record?"

"Not here at least..."

"How long has he been here for?"

"10 years... moved in from Virginia."

"I want you to look into his past..." Peters didn't balk at the order, but he did seemed surprised, as if wanting some sort of explanation. "Something about him rubbed me the wrong way."

"Fair enough... follow your gut. I get it... I'll look into that right away. But I need you to look into something... now." He had a wry grin over his face like he was holding something back from me all along and was excited to finally let it loose.

"What's that?"

"The Sheriff brought our first suspect in for questioning..." I straightened up in my booth.

"Who?"

Peters began circling his finger in front of me and then lowered it down onto the folder. The finger landed on a name next to a grisly mug shot on the file.

Maynard Jones

One of the usual suspects...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Need your help! I want this to get to number 1. Help me out! Vote, Share, Tell Your Friends, Follow me on Facebook, Follow me on BookBub! Let's get this one in Barnes & Nobles!