Chapter 5

"When did you get back?" I curiously ask. Hayes only has his eyes on me as he slowly makes his way to close the distance between us. "Yesterday, then I found out you were here. Why didn't you tell me?" he answers with a question.

"I didn't think you'd be coming to LA anytime soon," I reply truthfully. Hayes nods his head and stops walking, still leaving a good amount of space between us. We stare into each other's eyes, completely ignoring the people walking around us. "Hayes," I softly say his name as I step forward and wrap my arms around him. He pulls me close and places a kiss on top of my head.

"I'm sorry for getting mad at you. I didn't mean any of it, I promise," I confess as I'm in his arms. "I know and I'm sorry too. We both said hurtful things and I would like to move past them," he tells me while separating to look at me once again. I smile and reach up to place a kiss on his cheek.

"Back to us," I whisper in his ear.

Suddenly, his lips are on mine and I try not to smile, but I can't hide my happiness. "Yes, back to us," he confirms as we separate.

4 Months Earlier

As I step out of the car, I realize I'm wearing white shoes even though I knew Hayes lives on a farm. Way to go Abbi. It's okay, Jake bought these shoes for me, maybe it'll do me some good to have them finally get dirty.

A door slams, taking me out of my thoughts about my shoes, and I see Hayes running towards me. As soon as he reaches me I'm in his arms and he's spinning me around. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you," he tells me while I'm still in his arms.

As Hayes stares into my eyes, I think I can imagine how happy he is. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, he will never know that. I could never hurt him again, not after finally getting our friendship back. I shouldn't have been surprised when we rekindled after I left Jake, but I was. I'm still surprised how natural it feels around him.

"How was your trip?" Hayes ask as we walk towards the chicken pen. Never looking up from the ground, so I don't fall, I briefly look at him and reply, "It was good."

Because I was excited to see you.

Hayes gives me a brief smile, but it's gone when suddenly his hands are on my waist and I'm lifted off my feet. Caught off guard I lose my balance and crash against him. He tumbles backward and loses his balance as well, but I go with him this time.

Our faces are inches away from each other and I quickly get off him. However, Hayes beats me to getting up and reaches his hand out towards me. I take it and avoid eye contact. That was embarrassing.

Our lips were so close. Flashbacks of being that close to him, causes my blush to deepen.

I look back down at the ground and find a huge pile of poop where I was previously about to step. Hayes moved me, so I wouldn't step into it. I look back over at him and smile, even though he's not looking at me anymore.

"I'm afraid I'll step on them," I speak out as Hayes tries to hand me some of the feed for the chickens. "You won't Ab, trust yourself. Or yet, trust me," he reassures me. I stare into his eyes and he matches mine. A smile is on his face and I can't help, but feel safe. As if I can completely trust whatever he tells me.