Chapter 6.1

Huanchaco, Peru — June

Nadia sat on the grey sand of Huanchaco beach in north-west Peru, watching the remaining surfers fight for the last waves as the sun inched towards the horizon in a red and gold glow. Shadows filled the world. The jetty, reed watercraft and surfers were black silhouettes against the sky and deep-blue water. Seaweed, freshly caught fish and the scraps of decaying flesh left on hooks scented the air. Wrapping her arms around her legs, she rested her chin on her knees and thought about the journey so far.

The previous months had been a slow meander. A winding path through Colombia and its departments, cities and towns, culminating in an exit by bus through the guerrilla-ridden north-west. The route was not encouraged by Lonely Planet or the Australian Government's Smart-Traveller website. But it was a calculated risk since they had wanted to cross into Ecuador via Ipiales. One that paid off in dividends.

The Las Lajas Sanctuary was a gothic cathedral of white spires and slate stone spanning a gorge in the middle of lush jungle. Ecstatic about the new and unique addition to his website, Khai had toiled tirelessly, snapping away on his camera and drafting words to recount the dangers of his journey in third person prose. Exploring the structure with Nadia had not been a priority.

Next stop was Quito. A picturesque colonial city she had immediately fallen madly in love with — and out of love just as quickly, courtesy of rampant theft. In a state of shock, she had given chase to the wide-eyed boy who stole her iPad right from under her nose as she sat in an Old Town coffee shop. A perfect first day. The second highest capital city in the world was fine for walking in, but not for running. The little shit got away, and a passing nun scolded her in rapid Spanish when she shouted profanities. It hadn't helped her mood. Nor had Khai's lecture. Quito lost its shine. But prepaid Spanish classes forced her to stay.

Three days later, Khai was mugged. Poetic justice and a rite of passage — or so said other backpackers behind poorly hidden smirks. They had weeks to pass before Khai's new bank cards arrived in Lima, prompting a discussion about finances. Khai suggested they use her remaining savings first, his travel card next and finally, he would unlock his term deposit. She would have nothing to worry about.

"Plus, KhaiPod is pulling in some bucks now. What do you think, babe?" he'd said.

Nadia had thought this was the least he could do after two-and-a-half years together and all his promises of 'always.' She'd held her tongue on those points and instead said, "Sure," hesitated a moment, then added, "After all, I trust you."

Khai's gaze had locked on hers. "I hope so."

And so, she had guarded her iPhone as if it were a prized artefact from Quito's El San Francisco monastery and learned some polite Spanish phrases.

The rest of Ecuador redeemed itself with adventure and magic. A bull chased them down the slopes of the Pichincha volcano, there were cloud forests to explore and fireflies to light the road as the bus wove its way through the foothills toward the Peruvian border.