Metaphors and The Thesaurus, Your Friends

I peeve out when people take metaphors the wrong way or just can't grasp them. Seriously.

A character's irises aren't really getting darker because the writer said, "his eyes darkened with anger."

Just because the narrator says, "It was silent for a beat," it doesn't mean that they're being quiet so someone can beat their head against the wall.

It's okay to look beyond the literal meaning of words. In fact, it helps to pump up your writing. Throwing a creative word around here and there make people go, "Ooh, interesting." For example: saying, "her fingers itched to try the new keyboard," sounds better than "she couldn't wait to type on her new keyboard," doesn't it?

There are many words that mean the same thing, and many words that have more than one meaning. The thesaurus is a handy helper. Heck, as a writer, the thesaurus is essential. Learn it, love it, marry it! No, I don't mean marry it literally. I mean marry it metaphorically. See how that works? I'm not saying to go out and sign a prenup, I'm saying treat the thesaurus as partner. Consult it when you are having trouble, lean on it when you're lost. It's a writer's savior when you need that one word that just zings.

Don't be afraid to try new metaphors. Sure there will be some that don't get it, like the people that made me write this tip, but there will be those that will get it immediately and may even be impressed that you've used the word so cleverly.

Vote if you get metaphors