Chapter 12

Liana screamed and wrapped her arms over her head. Not again. Not like this. She couldn't do this again. The fear, the anxiety. It all wrapped around her and suffocated her.

She barely registered the warm arms that pulled her close and shielded her. "Liana. Liana! It's okay. Breathe!" The loud, demanding tone shocked her out of her stupor.

Liana shot a glance to Conner. Surely he would keep her safe. Dreams weren't exactly anything to go by, but he was the one who saved her in her dreams. He could do it. He could keep her protected and away from harm.

Another shot rang out.

Liana screamed and ducked her head again.

Conner growled. In an instant, he hefted her against his chest and curled his strong arms around her as a shield. "Shh, cupcake. We'll get you out of here."

How could he promise that? Things weren't going right. Not even close. This should be romantic, not... not a war zone.

A wolfish scream echoed in time with a third shot.

Liana whimpered and curled closer against Conner's hard chest. "Why are they shooting? Tell them to stop!"

"I want to, believe me." A deep, guttural growl tore from Conner's throat as he began to move.

Liana looked up enough to see his pattern. He darted behind a tree, looked to ensure no one was shooting, and raced to another. So fast she could hardly keep up with what he was doing. It made her head hurt to go so fast, so Liana closed her eyes and buried her head against his shoulder.

She couldn't take much more war. Almost getting shot at the rally had been bad enough. Getting shot at just as she came to terms with her new life? Worse than ever. Why did everyone seem to want her dead? Was the entire universe against her?

A gust of wind ruffled her hair around her seconds before she heard the door slam. Surprised, Liana looked up to see the now-familiar contents of Conner's living room. She turned her head to the shifter in question.

He didn't look happy. His nostrils flared with each inhale and his eyes flashed with irritation. One of his hands stroked over her hair in a soothing motion.

Liana didn't mind the touch. Not at all. In his arms, with his hands on her, she felt safer than ever. She never meant to feel anything toward him. She meant to ride out her thirty days and go home. She couldn't help the pull she felt toward him.

Conner smiled at her and bent his head, like he might kiss her again. Liana never wanted anything more.

A loud knock sounded at the door.

Liana yelped a startled screech. Conner growled again, this one even more agitated than before. He curled his arms tighter around Liana and turned to peek out the window. He snarled softly but opened the door.

The man who joined their hands earlier dragged another through the passageway and into the middle of the room. "Conner, I need your help! He's hemorrhaging. He has to shift in a controlled environment."

"No one is shifting in my living room with my mate present!" Conner snapped.

Liana blinked and looked up at him. He seemed even more irate than before. She didn't understand what could be worse than getting shot at. "I... I can go to the bedroom?"

"No." Conner's entire face softened as he looked down at her. He stroked a finger over her cheek. "You're not leaving my sight until I'm sure everything is secure."

His tone, though gentler than the one he used with the other man, brooked no argument.

"Conner, don't be absurd! He has to shift!"