11 |♛| The Hidden Truth |♛|

A/N: As you read, please leave comments and vote (★) if you can! Fleeter needs your help to be seen and read by others. Thank you ~ 

JULIETTE

The next day, Juliette kept thinking about what Martin said

The next day, Juliette kept thinking about what Martin said. It couldn't be true, right? It couldn't be. Gal wouldn't do that to her. They'd always shared everything between the two of them.

Not always. A voice in her mind whispered. Not about the child. 

Shut up.

Lucas wasn't just a policeman.

Possibly.

He was a spy.

Absurd.

Your spy.

Impossible!

And now Chris is too.

What was she going to do?

Juliette slammed her head on the desk in frustration. "Mayor Warner! Are you sure you're okay?" Juliette looked up to see concerned expressions on her PR team. Oops. Lost in her thoughts, she'd forgotten she was at a meeting.

"I'm feeling a bit tired. Why don't we take a break?" she lied. Their relived expressions indicated that she'd made the right choice. The PR team hurried out of their seats and rushed out the door. Only Marie stayed behind.

"You're not okay." Her assistant shook her head. "Go home, Mayor. I can handle things around the office."

"Marie, there's absolutely no need to-"

"Go home." Her normally bubbly assistant was calm and serious. She'd lost all semblance of uncertainty. "It's been a rough week for you. You've lost your daughter..."

Eve.

It felt like a punch to her chest. It'd been almost one week since Eve's disappearance from the city. The day after, Juliette had returned to her work, as normal. She knew the rumors flying around the office and the city. They called her a callous, cold-hearted woman. They say she made Eve so unhappy that her daughter embraced death rather than life. They said she wasn't fit to be a mother, let alone mayor.

They were wrong.

"When I'm busy working, I don't think about her." The mayor's voice cracked. "I get home late at night, so I don't notice the silence in the house. I eat breakfast and dinner out, so I don't have to see the place Eve used to sit... the empty plate on the dining table.

"At night, I can't sleep. I lie awake, watching the dot flicker on the screen–tracking Eve. As long as its moving, I know she's alright."

She gripped hands tightly together. The nails digging grooves into her delicate skin. "Marie, there's something else that's been bothering me. I can't keep all of it bottled inside me. I think I'll go crazy unless I tell someone."