Chapter Seventeen

The golden lion emblem signifies the highest status in the entire empire and can be only worn by the royal family. If common folks wears one, they will end up in jail for impersonation of a powerful figure.

That means there are six golden lion emblems in existence. One for the emperor, two for his queen and royal concubine, and three for his sons. Though Chen Hui has four concubines, they weren't given the emblem since only the official wife can have it.

So how did a rare, precious badge got into my room?

I'm quite sure the emperor and his two wives have never set foot in the Bai household, much more my private chambers.

That leaves me to the royal siblings.

To confirm my suspicions, I headed towards the courtyard where Chen Heng Li was currently residing. As soon as I step foot in the backyard, I saw two people animatedly talking and joking around.

Ahh, the male and female lead seems to get along well.

How sweet.

During the time when both the protagonists met, the exact same day, I fixed for Ming Shu to serve in Chen Heng Li's courtyard. At first, she vehemently refused but with my persuasive powers and guilt-tripping, she eventually agreed.

Well, I did what I have to do. I did say that I'd help them get together. Maybe by doing so, they will not hold any grievances against me.

I cleared my throat to get their attention. Ming Shu immediately bowed her head and retreated a few steps back. Chen Heng Li stood up and smiled nervously. The way they acted reminded me of the pair of lovers who got caught in the middle of their affair.

"This subject greets his highness," I performed a perfunctory bow, "am I disturbing something?"

The crown prince awkwardly laughed and shook his head.

"Bai Fan," Chen Heng Li escorted me to the chair opposite of his, "take a seat."

I sat and watched as Ming Shu served us a cup of tea before disappearing outside the courtyard. She probably wanted to give us some privacy. Though we didn't really needed it as I was only here to check whether Chen Heng Li still has his golden lion emblem.

"Bai Fan, what brought you here?" He asked after sipping on his cup of tea, his eyes drifting here and fro.

I stifled the laughter that was about to burst.

Why is he so flustered?

"Oh," he looked at me and shifted on his seat, "have you already decided about my proposal?"

Thinking about it, I guessed that father might be the biggest factor to why Chen Heng Li offered me the crown princess status. Either due to gratitude or for my father's continuous support, he was willing to marry me. Sure, he liked me but not the same way as he is liking Ming Shu now. It was more of physical attraction.

Ahh, how do I tell him?

Seeing that I was not giving him a response, he continued, "I will be heading back to the imperial capital tonight."

Ahh, finally! If you have decided to stay longer, my family's treasury will deplete from all your fancy dining.

As a good host, we have to prepare at least a hundred side dishes for the crown prince. Meat dishes should always be present as well. We might be a noble family but we aren't that rich. We still have to depend on my father's wage as a general.

So do I have to answer him now?

"I," I paused for a moment and took a deep breath, "reject your offer, your highness."

Wow, that was easier than I thought.

I almost congratulated myself out loud for doing a good job and not stuttering.

Chen Heng Li stared at me blankly, dumbfounded by my answer. I stayed silent to let my answer sink into him.

"May I ask why?" He uttered, still in disbelief.

Even if I tell, you wouldn't understand.

"I don't think I'm fit to the position of a crown princess." I confessed which was true.

Imagine if I become the crown princess and ascend as the queen, how chaotic would that be?

"Bai Fan, if that is what worries you, then I will help you with everything. I promise I will be here to guide you every step of the way." He tried to reach for my hand but I pulled back.

"Your highness, I don't think it would work," I answered him while tapping my fingers on top of the table, "will your highness accept Ming Shu?"

His eyes widen as he seemed to realize something, "Bai Fan, is this about Ming Shu? Is she the reason why you won't accept my proposal?"

Partly, yes.

"Your highness, I was only asking if you would like to take Ming Shu to the imperial capital with you. I can see that she fits to serve you." I couldn't help but tease him.

"Bai Fan, I think you got it all wrong," Chen Heng Li denied, "the one I like is you."

Ahh, let's not make fools of ourselves.

"Your highness, you don't have to worry. My father is loyal to you." I told him.

If he is worried about my father's loyalty, then I can assure him that my father will continue supporting him even if I marry one of his siblings. My father values honor and loyalty the most. Once he pledges to someone, then he will go through with that whatever happens.

I left the crown prince's courtyard and went back to my own. I knew Ming Shu wanted to talk to me. I was correct as she was waiting for me at my courtyard's entrance.

"Miss..." Ming Shu greeted me as she bowed her head.

"Pack your things."

"Miss, this servant is wrong!" She dropped on her knees and kowtowed.

"What did you do wrong?" I asked, just wanting to mess with her.

"This servant dared to covet the crown prince from Miss! This servant deserves to die!" Ming Shu cried as she continued kowtowing.

I helped her up and held her by her shoulder so we would be facing each other. Her eyes were puffy and red, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Please, female lead don't cry. You look so pitiful that even my heart is aching.

I gently pressed my handkerchief in her bleeding forehead caused by her kowtowing.

I hope the male lead doesn't kill me for injuring her female lead.

I sighed.

"Ming Shu, the crown prince is leaving tonight. You will go with him."

Ming Shu stood frozen on her spot. She couldn't believe what she heard from me.

"But miss, are you not angry with me?" She muttered incredulously.

"Do you want me to be angry?"

Wait...

Why am I turning into the Dark Shadow?

"Miss, this servant owes you her life. This servant will forever think of Miss' benevolence!" Ming Shu was about to kowtow again but I stopped her before she could even kneel and gave her a hug instead. Ming Shu hugged me back and cried into my shoulder.

I hope my problem with both leads ends here.

Now, I have to go and tell father of my decisions.

I hope he doesn't faint when I tell him I rejected the crown prince and sent my personal maid to serve him.

Ahh, its going to be a long day.