Chapter Fifty One

When I woke up, I was lying on a bed with the royal physician grasping my wrist through a thin cloth. I blinked my eyes to adjust to the dim surrounding. The place does not look familiar to me but judging by how wide the room was and how luxurious the things were, I'm guessing I'm still in the imperial palace.

I noticed Chen Mu standing at the end of the bed with both his arms crossed over his chest. When he saw me staring at him, he walked towards me. He sat on the bed and placed his hand on my other free hand resting on my belly.

"What happened?" I muttered, my throat dry and my mouth parched.

Before he could answer, the royal physician suddenly let go of my hand and kneeled on the ground. He bowed down, his forehead touching the floor, and with a booming voice, he exclaimed, "Congratulations to the first Prince and the first Princess. The first Princess is carrying a royal child!"

The servants in the outer chambers heard the declaration and also kneeled and repeated the physician's greetings. Soon, the entire hall was unified in chanting congratulations.

I was so overwhelmed and surprised but I had no strength to even counter the physician's claims.

How can I become pregnant when nothing happened between me and Chen Mu?

I am a virgin!

This probably has something to do with the pill that Chen Mu made me take. As the royal physician went out of the room, I thought I would be able to interrogate Chen Mu about my sudden 'pregnancy' but the royal concubine entered the room.

"Play with it." Chen Mu muttered in a low voice which only I can hear. He then stood up on the side so his mother can have some space.

I glared at him.

I will.

But you have some explaining to do.

I sighed.

"Fan'er! We were all worried about you!" The royal concubine exclaimed as she held my hand.

"Mother, I'm okay. Don't worry too much." I assured her.

"You need to be more careful especially now that you're carrying a child." A genuine smile graced the imperial concubine's lips and I couldn't help but feel guilty about lying to her.

Chen Mu better have a good explanation for this.

If they found out that I'm not really pregnant, then what would become of me?

Ahh, my poor self.

"Rest then, I will just have to talk with Mu'er for a bit." The imperial concubine tapped my hand and motioned for Chen Mu to follow her.

When the mother and son duo left, Xiao Yu entered the room. She was sobbing and hiccuping at the same time.

"Xiao Yu, calm yourself." I chuckled and handed her a handkerchief.

"Miss..." Xiao Yu took the piece of cloth and wiped her tears as she seemed to calm down.

"Why are you crying? I'm not dying, you know." I teased her.

"Miss, I'm just happy. Finally, you're having a child of your own." Xiao Yu confessed, "Miss, all I wanted is for you to be happy."

I sat up from the bed and pulled Xiao Yu in for a hug. Tears started to stream down my face as I held onto Xiao Yu. I suddenly felt awful.

I'm sorry.

"Miss, you shouldn't cry. The baby will know if you're crying too." Xiao Yu berated me as she wiped my face.