Chapter 2

I hurt. Not badly, but I'm sore. I don't care what anyone says, the back of a cop car is not a comfortable place to sit. Of course, it's not supposed to be, but shit. This crappy bench I'm sprawled on right now isn't that great either. But at least I've got leg room.

"Why the long face, Sephy? You know you won't be in here for long." Officer Jade Nelson is leaning on the bars of my cage, her tight ass shifted to one side in a tantalizing tableau.

"Must you call me that?" I roll my head to look at her. Jade knows Mom and I pretty well. Every time Mom thinks her career is bombing she goes and does something stupid. A few months back she got drunk and smashed up her car. Scandals are still attention, right? Fucking idiot.

"What would you prefer?" Jade raises an eyebrow. She's such a girl next door. I don't know how she makes it as a cop. She can be pretty intimidating when she wants to be, but she's just so cute with her mousy hair and massive twinkling eyes.

"If you come lay with me you can call me a dirty little slut," I say with a wink, and she shakes her head at me.

"What possessed you to punch a cop, Seph?" Jade sighs, and I huff right back at her.

"I was angry." It's a poor excuse, but I don't really care. I shouldn't have to make excuses for my actions.

"Why?" She purses her lips. "You could have just stayed out of it."

"You arrested the guy that saved my pathetic ass!" I groan the words, almost whining them, and sit up to stare at her.

"He nearly killed a man." Her tone is condescending and I don't like it one bit.

"To save me," I insist, more than a little petulant.

"He still assaulted someone, Seph." Jade is adamant about this. I know she's a cop and everything, but does everyone have tunnel vision? "I'm sure once he and everyone else in that bar testifies, everything will be fine, but you had to know that he'd be in jail until court."

"When's his date?" I groan as I stretch my arms over my head, done arguing with her.

"Don't know yet." She shakes her head. What the hell are you good for then, Jade? Fucking goody two shoes little bitch in her navy blues.

"Well, does he have a lawyer?" I press for more information, and she shrugs. I grunt my frustration. "What fucking good are you, then? Get me on a phone. And I really need a fucking cigarette."