12. the whole story

I had my head in my hands as I grimaced down into the bath. I'd tried to tell them I was a lightweight, but I supposed it was still my own fault at the end of the day. Truth be told, I wasn't totally sure what was happening – I didn't feel particularly drunk, just a little buzzed and a lot woozy. I'd never felt this weird prickly warmth or this light-headedness when I'd been drinking before, so I was both stumped and sick.

The voice that had called after me before called again, more tentatively. I heard the bedroom door open, and gathered up all of my strength to weakly yell out, "Don't come in here," because I knew I hadn't had time to lock the bathroom door behind me, and I couldn't get up to do it now. My knees felt like they'd crumble if I tried to stand.

"Are you okay?" The voice was closer now, and it was unmistakably Brie. If I had made a list of all the people in the world I'd have rather had walk in on me at that moment, Brie would've been second last only to... well, Noah, actually. I didn't want either of them to see me in the state I was in, albeit it for very different reasons.

"Mmph," I mumbled, because that was about all I was capable of.

"Jesus," Brie muttered, sounding like she was stifling a chortle. She was close enough now that I knew she was actually in the bathroom with me, but I hadn't turned to look at her, still feeling a little too puke-y to risk it. I wanted to turn and glare at her, to tell her she wasn't helping and that she could just leave me alone if all she wanted to do was laugh at me--

"Are you gonna be okay for a second? I'll get you some water," Brie's footsteps were already retreating before I could attempt to answer. She called back an unreasonably cheery "Don't die!" before I heard her gently close the bedroom door between me and the rest of the party. I rested my forehead on my forearms, crossing them over the edge of the bath as I groaned down at the ground. Not only did I feel sick, but now I felt like an asshole, too. 

I'd always stuck by my first impressions, but Brie actually seemed to be being nice. Maybe my gut was wrong on this one? Like, literally - maybe that was why I'd puked? The universe might have been trying to send me a signal.

I felt the world spin around me as the muffled sounds of Noah's party continued to thud at the bathroom walls. Brie was taking a while, and when my knees started to ache, I managed to shuffle myself around – carefully, trying not to upset my head or my stomach any further – so I could sit on my ass and cling to the side of the bathtub, in case of emergency.

When Brie peeked around the door, I was well enough to at least look at her, now.

"Right where I left you," she teased, as if I could've possibly left. "And not dead! Good for you," she chuckled.

She had, as promised, brought a bottle of water with her, and I felt a rush of gratitude towards her. I didn't like being wrong about people, but if Brie wasn't as terrible a person as I'd imagined, at least that was benefiting me now.

She crouched down to pass me the water, and then sat cross-legged opposite me. "I grabbed some painkillers too, but I don't know if you need them," she said, shrugging and offering me a blister pack of aspirin.

I gave her a small, meek nod, thinking about how whacked out my head felt. It'd surely help – I didn't think anything could make me feel worse, after all.

It took me a long moment and a big gulp of water, but eventually I said, "Thanks, Brie," and took a second gulp of water so I could avoid making eye contact with her.

"Hey, you got it," she said, a soothing warmth in her voice. "Any time. It must suck to be here on your own and not have anyone around to take care of you."

I nodded, resting my forehead in my hand as I thought about trying to get home and get to sleep while I felt so out of it. I was lost, thinking about how to navigate the rest of the evening, and whether I had to say goodbye to Noah or-- well, he'd probably be busy with his girlfriend, wouldn't he? I didn't know why I assumed he was just as obsessed with me as I was with him. He had a whole life here, as the party had proven. 

I was just a footnote in his life, whereas right now? This island was a project, a pretty boy, and very little else for me. He was the whole story.

"This is so embarrassing," I mumbled, after what felt like an eternity.

"No, embarrassing is throwing up directly on your expensive new suit the night before you graduate," Brie laughed.

I looked up to see her smirking, and tilted my head, not getting the joke.

"Noah," she explained, still laughing. "I had to pick him up. He was a total mess, way worse than you right now," she teased. "He barfed on this super nice navy suit our parents had gotten him for the occasion. You should ask him about it, he'll blush super hard. It's a riot," she grinned.

I felt a weak smile pull at the corners of my lips.

"Maybe I will," I said, before knocking back another mouthful of water, this time to swallow down the aspirin. I was finally beginning to feel better, although it was probably just my stomach settling.

Brie smiled down at the tiles for a moment while I tried to sit myself properly upright, to stop slumping. After a few beats, she spoke up again and punctured the silence.

"You didn't know about Melissa?" My brain clicked the puzzle piece into place. I thought people had been calling her Alyssa – but it was Melissa. I would've said it was good to know, but it wasn't, not really. It would have been pretty dramatic to say it made me feel sick again, but it definitely didn't make me feel better.

"No, he told me he had a girlfriend," I said, nodding. Brie seemed to size me up, her eyes scanning over my expression. I didn't know what she was looking for, but I knew she was suspicious. I rolled my eyes. "We're just friends, you know. Work colleagues, even," I explained, trying to be as flippant as possible. I really didn't want to be that transparent, because I couldn't stand the thought of everyone knowing I wanted something I couldn't have. It was bad enough that I had to know the truth, myself.