FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
' I'M GOOD AT PLANS . '

The newly formed group sat at a table in the canteen. Ash half listened to the conversation from where she tinkered with the gauntlets over her hands, screwdriver between her teeth.

"If we're gonna get out of here," Rocket began from beside her. "We're gonna need to get into that watchtower."

"The guards wear security bands to control their ins and outs," Ash spoke in a muffled tone, looking up with the screwdriver hanging out of her mouth.

"Leave it to me," Gamora affirmed.

"That dude, there. I need his prosthetic leg," Rocket continued, and Ash glanced at him with a raised eyebrow.

"His leg?" Quill repeated.

Rocket nodded, trying desperately to hide the mischief in his eyes. "Yeah. God knows I don't need the rest of him. Look at him; he's useless."

"Alright."

Ash looked back down at the gauntlets but continued to speak. "There's a black panel on the wall behind you with that flashing yellow light?"

The others turned and affirmed that they'd seen it.

"Behind it, there's a quarnyx battery, should be in a purple box with green wires. I need one of those to get into the watchtower. How? I'm still thinking."

Rocket shifted. "Well, supposedly, these bald bodies find you attractive. So maybe you can work out some sort of trade."

Ash looked up at him, a blank expression on her face. "What?" Her gaze flickered to the others. "What would I trade? These gauntlets?"

They all shared a glance before Rocket waved a hand to dismiss the topic. "Forget about it, Ash."

"Look," Quill sighed. "It's twenty feet up in the air and it's in the middle of the most heavily guarded part of the prison. It's impossible to get up there without being seen."

"Well, you guys wanted a plan, and this is the best I've got right now, and it needs a quarnyx battery, so unless you've got a better idea, man-whore, shut the fuck up." Ash's gaze turned into a glare before she turned back to the gauntlet. "As I was saying, the battery's gotta be the last thing we get. Once removed, everything is gonna go into emergency mode, and we're toast. Now, where's Groot-"

When Ash's gaze eventually found Groot, alarm bells rang - literally and metaphorically.

"Or we could just get it first and improvise," Rocket deadpanned.

"I'll get the armband," Gamora confirmed.

"Leg." Peter decided.

Ash shifted, hurriedly working to free herself from the gauntlets.

"Prisoner, drop the device immediately and retreat to your cell, or we will open fire." A voice resonated throughout the prison.

"I am Groot!"

Ash made a noise of surprise as the gauntlets wrenched themselves open, and she ripped her hands from them.

"Fire!" the guard roared, and the blasts ricocheted towards Groot and Rocket. "All prisoners return to your sleeping areas."

Black magic exploded outwards just in time and caught the bullets, wrapping around them like a net and redirecting them into a wall.

"The Reaper is in control. Fire on my command!" 

Ash rolled her neck before her magic lifted her into the air, irises blazing black. "Oh, do shut up," she grumbled, throwing a direction of magic to where the guard spoke through. A shrill guitar solo erupted from the speakers, erupting through the entire complex. Ash let out an eruption of laughter and began her fight with the guards.