ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
' I DON'T
HAVE AN EGO . '

The group readied themselves on the Milano as they flew towards Ronan's ship. The Ravagers' fleet stopped near the Dark Astor and fired on Yondu's command. The explosion bounced off the vessel, forming a cloud of fire and allowing them to duck beneath the wall of flames and continue beneath Ronan's ship.

"Rocket, hurry!" Quill shouted as they managed to blow a hole in the Dark Astor.

"Quill! Yondu! Now!" Rocket yelled back.

Yondu shouted as his ship began to descend from an enemy blast. "Aw, hell! I'm going down, Quill! No more games with me, boy! I'll see you at the end of this!"

Quill let out a stressed sigh, and Ash's grip on his pilot seat tightened. "There are too many of them, Rocket! We'll never make it up there!"

Ash looked past the windscreen again, and her lips pulled into a grin. She patted Quill's shoulder and pointed to the sky.

"Peter Quill, this is Denarian Saal of the Nova Corps. For the record, I advised against trusting you here."

"They got your dick message!" Ash cheered.

"Prove me wrong."

With the help of the Nova ships, Quill landed theirs inside the Dark Astor through the blast hole, and Ash rushed to the exit.

"Yes! Yes!" Drax clapped his hands together. The rest of the group left their ship and made their way through the Dark Astor. "I can barely see."

As soon as Drax spoke, Ash realised it was very dark, and she struggled to make out the shadows. Being partially blind meant she relied on her other senses, and sometimes, she forgot that others couldn't understand their surroundings as she did. Groot released glowing particles from his body to light their way, and Ash glanced at him with a grin.

"When did you learn to do that?" Drax asked.

"I'm pretty sure the answer is 'I am Groot,'" Quill replied.

Gamora looked around before moving her eyes to a device she held. "The flight deck is three hundred meters this way."

"I want you all to know that I am grateful for your acceptance after my blunders. It is pleasing to once again have friends. You, Quill, are my friend," Drax suddenly spoke up, and the group gave awkward glances at him.

"Thanks."

"This dumb tree, he is my friend."

"Mmm."

"This psychopath, she is my friend,"

"Psychopath?" Ash repeated. "Am I that mean to you guys?" She looked to Quill for help, then Groot, who both gave different answers.

"And this green whore, she, too-"

Gamora groaned. "-Oh, you must stop!"

The group halted, and Ash focused on Quill while Gamora shouted at Drax. "What was that supposed to mean?"

"Well, you're intimidating!" he defended.

"But I haven't tried to kill you yet!"

"Yet!" he repeated. "Yet? Ronan hasn't tried to kill me yet that doesn't mean he's not intimidating!"

"Oh," Ash looked away, a frown forming.

Quill copied her before he placed a hand on her shoulder. "But, hey. I haven't known you for that long either."

Ash looked up at him, opening her mouth, before Nebula, out of nowhere, intercepted their progress across the Dark Astor. "Gamora, Astrid, look at what you have done. You have always been weak. You stupid, traitorous-"