EIGHT

CHAPTER SEVEN
' UNREMARKABLE . '

Ash fell heavily onto the ground, her hands managing to catch her before her face hit the grass. The plant life started to die around her, and her body shook like an invisible force pushing down on her. She screamed out as pain shot through her body.

Her vision clouded, and her hands gave up on her. She collapsed and curled into a ball as the pain intensified. Heavy footsteps echoed around the area, and Peter and Gamora dropped to the floor beside her. Ego, Drax and Mantis approached a little while after, with the Celestial holding his side in pain.

Mantis went to touch her, but Gamora swiped her hand away, causing Peter to look at her with raised eyebrows.

"She would die," Gamora replied flatly, eyes slightly crazed. "Ash."

She didn't reply, her eyes snapping open and revealing utter blackness.

"Get back." Gamora's voice was quiet, but she grabbed Peter and hauled him away.

He tried to fight her. "We can't just do nothing!"

"I said, get back!" Her voice suddenly rose, and Peter followed her instructions.

A groan brewed in Ash's throat before she moved to her knees, her head dropping back and a scream piercing from her throat. An eruption of black blasted from her form. "Leave me alone!" The holler morphed into words, and she jumped to her feet, eyes lightening to their usual colour. One of her hands shot up with her movement, and the black shifted above them like a parasite.

Her breathing was laboured, low hums escaping with the movement of her chest. She bared her teeth, her hand shaking, and Ash lowered her head to squeeze her eyes closed.

"Ash, fight it," Gamora spoke, moving slowly to stand beside her.

She breathed out before forcing some of her energy out of her palm to join the mist above them. It cast shadows above them, blocking the sun that Ego's planet orbited. She looked up, her mismatched eyes focusing on the ball of energy and lowering her hand to her side.

"Beautiful," Ego whispered as he spun in a circle to marvel at it with the others. "Truly beautiful."

Ash turned away, and it disbanded in the air. Her knees wobbled, and she went to fall to her knees before Peter caught her. Ash grabbed his shirt, letting out a sharp breath through her nose and using his added support to recenter her balance before she could hit the ground again. "Thank you," Ash whispered, squeezing the fabric before stepping away. Slowly, she turned to face Ego. "I'm sorry."

"No matter," he dismissed. "You can repay me by taking a walk with me."

Ash watched him walk past her as if he knew she would obey. She chewed her lip for a moment before following behind him.

"I confess that I didn't expect to find another child other than Peter, and I can say that I expected even less of how your life turned out." He glanced at her, but Ash followed behind him in silence. "Tell me, sweetheart, how did you develop this power?"

She stared at him. "You know how," she replied quietly. Ego went to continue, but she didn't let him. "Why don't you ask my name?"

He stopped and turned to face her. "What?"

"You know Peter's name, but you've never even asked for mine."

Ego was silent, his mouth opening before he shut it again.

Ash's eyes lit up in a silent flame. "You know, Mantis has the same nose as you."

"Sweet-"

"-I also know it would have been easier to find us before we were nearly killed yesterday. Why did you wait 'till now?" She took a step forward. "I want to believe this so desperately, but you have that look in your eyes. It looks so familiar because everyone who ever wanted me for my power had it. I tried to brush it off, but still-" Ash stopped, shaking her head and looking down.

Ego lifted his chin. "Still what?"

"You still haven't asked my name." Ash's hand shot out and pinned him again a tree with her magic. "Cut the shit. What do you really want?"

Ego furrowed his eyebrows but didn't struggle.

"What would a Celestial want with a son who has no idea of the power he holds?" Ash became silent in thought. "Power cells?" she suggested.

The look in Ego's eyes changed, and before she could react, a vine wrapped around her neck and threw her to the ground. They coiled around her wrists and wrenched them to her sides. Ash's mouth fell open, gasping silently at the little air passing through her constricted airways.

"Oh, sweetheart," Ego cooed softly, lowering to one of his knees beside her, now free of her magic. "Why would I care to name a piece of machinery? Of course, everyone wants you for your power. You're not remarkable in any other way, are you? Not particularly pretty. No striking personality... You'll never be anything more than a prawn in someone's game, and your life will only ever amount to death. What else would a child born of a temple of death be good for?"

Ash struggled in her bounds, a tear escaping her eye as she bared her teeth.

Ego gently stroked her cheek. "You'll spend your days as a battery, whether you like it or not. That stone will power your body for eternity, and while you're around, I'm around. You know, there is something worthy of mention about you. You're just too smart for your own good."

"You-" She struggled again, voice constricted with the lack of air. "You've just told... me your plan."

Ego smiled as a club formed on his hand. "Well, we'd better keep going until you forget, don't you think, sweetheart?" Ash was routed to her space and could only watch as it came down upon her. She fell limp in her bounds as he stared down at her. He shook his head before lying her against a tree.

After a long moment, she stirred. Ash blinked a few times as she rubbed her forehead with a squint.

"Alright, sweetheart?"

"What-what happened?"

"You collapsed, my sweet. Must've been out of exhaustion. I can't imagine what it took outta you."

"Why does it feel like I've been bundled by the Hulk?" She sat up, bleary-eyed.

"Must be 'cause you're tired."

"It's true," she answered. "I am knackered."