29

The crowd was eerily quiet as Jade made her way to the small stage

The crowd was eerily quiet as Jade made her way to the small stage. I bit my lip, wondering if she could hear the whispers of confusion or see the faces of distress strewn throughout the dim room.

"Okay," Ian said, his eyes trained on Jade as she stopped next to Principal Herrings. "That's the spot." 

He slammed his hand against the button beside him and grabbed my wrist, pulling me into the horde of people to hide our culpability. I watched as the basketball hoop began to lower into its vertical position, Herrings standing beneath it as he placed a silver tiara upon Jade's head.

It didn't take long for people to notice, alarmed calls emitting from the mass of teens, a few pointing up at the ceiling. Herrings glanced up just as the paint can began to tip, leaking a small stream of red. The weight of the paint almost immediately caused the can to careen forward, dumping its half-gallon of scarlet paint onto Jade.

She jolted as it splashed off the top of her head-- Herrings jumped back as his brown suit became splattered with red. The paint spread through Jade's brown hair and streaked down her face, then her dress, coating the floor. The gym was alive again, filling with shouts and gasps, a few people shoving to get away from the stage. 

Jade's jaw hung open as the last of the paint trickled out onto her head, and I wasn't sure if it was feigned shock or genuine surprise at the suddenness of it all. The paint can above her was empty, still held back by the rope. 

Just as fast as the room got loud, it fell quiet. Everyone stared at the stage, hundreds of wide eyes watching the girl who was now bright red from both paint and embarrassment.

I turned to Ian, who was cringing, looking guilty for what he'd done. Time seemed like it was on pause, everyone frozen, no one knowing what to do or say. Even Principal Herrings seemed like he was stuck, just staring at Jade as she wiped the paint from her eyes. 

Just as I was about to ask Ian if we should do something, I saw Roy hurrying up the steps, sprinting across the stage. His feet slipped against the paint as he made his way to Jade, wrapping his arm around her shoulders as she looked at him in surprise.

The crowd began to whisper, obviously confused by Roy's presence. He started leading Jade away, walking carefully, the two of them sliding every few steps. As he passed the microphone he leaned in, glancing over to Herrings. "So much for respected events, huh Herr?"

Herrings' expression contorted into anger as he stepped towards the mic, clearly ready to rant. But his path was covered in the red liquid, and as he stepped forward his legs wobbled. There was a second before he lost his balance, his legs sliding out in front of him, arms flailing to try to regain composure that was already long gone. I gasped as he landed on his butt, and the crowd erupted into laughter, their entertained outbursts only growing louder as he struggled to stand.

Roy grimaced playfully and looked away, rushing carefully off the stage with Jade under his arm. Herrings finally made it to the mic, but his yells about this type of stunt being unacceptable were barely audible over the frenzied student body.