Chapter 25: Always right

Lord Damien Hargreaves had just sat down to enjoy his lunch when Lucius Cromwell entered the dining hall and looked around frantically. Scanning the man's less formal attire and noting the absence of a dress, Damien figured he was there on personal business. Of course, he could guess what it was about.

"Well if it isn't the worst father of the year." He placed his fork down.

Lucius stopped looking around and focused a glare on him.

"How flattering, considering it's coming from the reigning champion of that title. How many years in a row is it now, Damien? Three hundred?"

"Oh, I think it's more," Frey said from the other side of the table, having just pushed a roasted cauliflower floret to the side of his plate after inspecting it closely. "But who's counting anyway?" he added with a smile as Damien scowled at him.

"So I should assume they're here then?" Lucius asked.

"They?" Damien arched an eyebrow.

"Noah and Luna."

"Noah's run off too? You really are a—"

"Yes, alright! But you've met Luna then? Where is she?" Lucius ran a hand through his hair. Damien had to admit it'd been a while since he saw the man so worried.

"So... You're really marrying her off to the Gashcrow kid?"

"Look... Damien, it's—it's complicated. But I... Don't want her running off like that and get in trouble or... Ugh, anyway, for the last time, do you know where she is?"

Damien chewed on his lip. He supposed Lucius would find out sooner or later anyway. How bad could it be?

"She's on her way to Wyrmdon."

It was hard to read Lucius' facial expression as he processed what he'd just heard, but Damien knew it wasn't a good one.

"She's—" His voice croaked and he cleared his throat. "She's going to Wyrmdon?"

"Yes."

"Alone?"

"... Yes."

Lucius took a deep breath through his nose and exhaled slowly.

"And, uh... Why exactly is she going there?"

"She'd... Had enough of all the secrecy, so she decided to seek out your brother."

Silence ensued and Lucius walked up to him, staring him in the eyes for a good while as Frey tilted his head to the side in anticipation.

It was Damien's turn to clear his throat.

"Luci—"

Then he was punched in the face.

"You scourgefucking moron!" Another punch landed against Damien's jaw as Lucius continued. "I ought to send you to East Kerilia with a rock tied to your chest, you miserable excuse of a human!"

It was honestly worse than Damien had expected. Sure, he knew Lucius preferred not to speak of the past but this seemed extreme. He was immortal but the punches still hurt.

"Frey? A little help?" he therefore asked.

Frey, who was in the middle of chewing, had returned to look at his plate.

"Oh no, Mr. Cromwell. Don't."

"Damn it, Frey," Damien muttered before raising his voice. "Hauke!"

"When did she leave?" Lucius asked and slapped Damien across the face for good measure just as Mr. Hauke entered the room.