01. Onto Something New

Since this suggestion said "high school" and not "secondary", I'm just assuming that anon wanted this to take place somewhere in North America during a modern time period since there technically was no existence of "high school" in the 1800s

— — —

"Ahhh." Lilly exhaled in relief when the car's engine shut off, parked at its destination. She stretched out her limbs, propping her feet on top of the dashboard, her battered black Converse high tops nearly scuffing the front window.

From her left, she felt a frosty glare burrow into her tanned legs, exposed by the pair of shorts she was wearing. A moment of cold silence passed before an equally icy tone filled the small space of the car — in her opinion, far more effective than the air conditioning system.

"Feet. Off. Now."

"Alright, alright." Lilly grumbled, complying at the command. She turned expectantly to the driver sitting next to her.

The car may have been a used one, but was recently purchased as a present to him from his parents shortly after he had passed the driving test and received his license. Their insistence to him that it was both a privilege and a responsibility to have a car was one that he held remarkably to utmost seriousness.

His sea-colored eyes reflected annoyance as he reached over in front of her to open the glovebox, pulling out a white cloth and rubbing at the area on the dashboard where her shoes had been. She glared at him.

"Oh, come on! I just threw these in the laundry last week." She protested, gesturing to her high tops.

He cast a distasteful glance downwards at her feet, clearly unconvinced at the sight of the faded, worn-down shoes before vigorously wiping down the dashboard for a few more seconds. He returned the cloth back to the glovebox and closed it, still not saying anything.

Lilly sighed. "Rick, live a little. We're supposed to be celebrating."

He finally broke the silence, raising a black eyebrow. "Celebrating what?"

"You know, finishing high school? Surviving eight torturous hours of classes five days a week for the past four years?"

"Technically, we still haven't received our diplomas yet. Nor do we know our final grades for this semester." He pointed out coolly.

"Don't be a buzzkill. Graduation is tomorrow and I bet you aced all your exams like usual. I'll eat my shoes otherwise."

He snorted. "Very well, celebration it is then. Is that why you didn't want to go home yet?"

"Yep." She chirped. She opened the car door and stepped out, with Rick following suit.

They had just departed from an outing with the rest of their friends at the town's local diner. The place had been packed, with many of their other classmates there as well to feast for the occasion. To say the least, the diner would have stellar business for the night but also one hell of a cleanup job afterwards. Lilly decided she had socialized enough once the noise level had reached to a peak, enough to be headache-inducing. After promising to meet up with their group before and after tomorrow's ceremony, both she and Rick had left since he was her ride for the evening. Once they sat in his car, she told him that she wanted to make a quick stop at a particular place. He was surprised but nonetheless, silently obliged.