Chapter 1

The RK800 unit looks at me with a blank gaze.

Alarmingly lifeless.

Cyberlife's new android awaits instruction, completely obedient to whoever owns him. That's the thing about androids: they appear human in every conceivable way, apart from the LED ring that sits on their temple. This one's light flickers orange, as its eyes twitch.

I've only just got my police badge, and got stationed at Detroit City Police Department. It's infamous for its testing and unforgiving cases, and I'm ready to sink or swim in the infamous deep end.

"Hello! My name is Connor!" the robot chirps, making me almost spill my freshly-brewed coffee all over my orange button down.

Before I subjected myself to third-degree burns I place the java down, onto my new partner's desk. It would be all too typical for me to stuff up before I've even started.

"I apologise! Did I startle you?" The android tilts his head, then raises his brow. It's almost as if its concerned ...

Wow! CyberLife has upped their game.

"No." I couldn't help but screw with him a little. "What would make you think that?"

"Your heart rate elevated." His chocolate orbs pierce my calm. You can almost see the literal cogs turning. The machine was scanning me. "That is a common indicator of stress. If I have caused undue discomfort, I apologise."

As I study his deceptively normal frame, I find it hard to believe that they have the power to function as a walking, talking forensic lab. Through instinct, my arms fly up to cover my chest.

Is he even allowed to scan me like that?

I want to walk away, but unfortunately was told to wait for the lieutenant at his desk. Lieutenant Anderson, they'd said his name was.

"So..." I attempt to make small talk with the android. "What are you doing here?"

It pauses, before simulating a smile.

Oh boy ...

"I'm an android sent by CyberLife. I'm here to help Lieutenant Anderson with any deviant related criminal acts." Connor's face stays the same, apart from a few blinks. I wonder what it's thinking.

"Deviant?" I enquire. If he meant it in the usual sense of the word, that's a pretty broad spectrum.

"Any android that deviates from their usual programming is classified as a deviant." He states, tone raising at just the right times. Creepy.

I give myself a virtual slap on the wrist as a faint bell reminds me of an article I'd read a couple of months ago. An android had gone AWOL when the family attempted to replace it. The android had threatened to throw himself off the roof with the family's little girl.

No wonder my father hates androids.

An RK800 had talked it off the ledge, saving two human lives.

I wonder if this android was that one. But as I look him up and down, the thought quickly fades.

What the fuck are you doing here?" A gruff man of about six-foot storms in, wriggling his digit at the machine. I can't help but laugh at the theatrical display, coupled with his mandala-stamped shirt and suede jacket it's like a damn comedy club up in here.

This dude is out to lunch!

The pattern on his shirt seems to move with his jerked movements, his index finger moving like a pissed off wasp on a warpath.

Sweat accumulates on the back of my neck. I hate confrontation. I avert my gaze, not wanting to antagonise the guy, whoever he is.

"Hello, Lieutenant Anderson. I'm happy that I'm working on this case with you!" The android's LED flashes orange. "I've just received a report about an AX400 assaulting its owner. We should go investigate."

The giant runs his meat fists through his silver mop. His blue orbs point skyward, as his chest heaves. This is the guy I'm going to be working with? Ahhh, crap!

I wish I was invisible right now. My blood freezes as he finally drops his gaze down to my short frame. "And who the fuck are you?"

"I, I'm Inara. Inara Gibson." I tug at the bottom of my shirt, thrusting my hand outward.

The seasoned detective rolls his eyes, ignoring my awkward gesture. "Ahhh, fucking great! Now I've got two plastic pricks to deal with."

Great! I'm so awkward he thinks I'm a robot ... sounds about right!

"I'm not an android! I'm the new recruit. Didn't Police Chief Fowler tell you?" My words mush together, as I transform into my typical bumbling self, cocking up initial impressions as per usual.

Way to go, Gibson.

"Lieutenant!" Connor's eye twitches, as its LED flashes red. Awwww shit! Did I break him?

"What? What, what? What the fuck is it?" Anderson flings his hands to and fro like a marionette on red ice.

"I must remind you that time is of the essence! I've uploaded the address."

Lieutenant Anderson huffs. "Fuckin' fine."

The pair run off, towards the entrance. Without me.

"Hey! What about me?" I wave my hand frantically, like I've just been selected for The Price is Right.

Connor pauses, but immediately starts up again when his superior didn't look back.

"Not a fucking chance!"

Well, this is going to be an interesting first day.