Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Ya’ hair looks good like that.” I jump at the sound of Michonne’s voice in the doorway and send my hairbrush clatterin’ into the sink. 

“Don’t fuckin’ do that,” I declare, glarin’ at Michonne in the mirror. She’s looks like she’s tryin’ ta’ keep from laughin’. 

“Sorry.” Michonne steps further into the bathroom, smilin’ like somethin’s funny. I grin back and start foolin’ with my hair again, arrangin’ pieces around my face just so and adjustin’ everything until I feel like I look alright. I’ve braided my hair off to the side and tied it with some red ribbon that Carol gave me. The woman’s hair ain’t but an inch and a half long, so I don’t know why she’s got red satin hair ribbons, but I ain’t about ta’ question her. I just noticed how long my hair’s gotten; my braid is hangin’ down past my ribs now. 

“Ya’ gettin’ all prettied up fer Daryl?” I ask Michonne playfully as she shakes her dreads outta her headband. Michonne gives me a glare, but she’s blushin’. 

“No,” Michonne mutters. “Just fixin’ my hair.” Michonne shoots me a playfully accusin’ look. “Are you gettin’ prettied up for Rick?”

“Yes, I am, actually,” I say easily.  I adjust the ribbon tied around the end a’ my braid, makin’ sure the floppy bow is even and tight. Michonne laughs a little and scrubs at a smudge a’ dirt on her neck with a washcloth. 

We stand there in silence and finish lookin’ ourselves over quickly. Michonne looks kinda sheepish as we’re leavin’ the bathroom and says, “So, uh- I won’t be in the cell when ya’ get back from your walk with Rick, so don’t worry about me or nothin’.” Michonne shoves her hands in her pockets and just shrugs at me. I smile and say, “I won’t.” 

We go our separate ways in the common area of our cellblock, Michonne headin’ deeper into the prison and me walkin’ ta’ my cell. The only thing left fer me ta’ do really is just wait fer Rick. I’m excited, stomach flutterin’ and everything. I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited fer a date before in my life. Who’d a’ thought that the date I’m most excited fer ain’t nothin’ but a simple walk at night?

I watch the sky get a little darker out my window and start doin’ stupid shit like pretendin’ I’m pinchin’ the moon until I hear heavy boots approachin’ my cell. 

Rick looks like he made some effort in cleanin’ himself up, which makes me feel kinda special. His shirt looks cleaner than usual (Carol probably offered ta’ wash it special ‘cause that’s just how she is), his hair is combed neater than usual, and he looks like he washed the dirt off his face and his neck; hell, he shaved too. It ain’t exactly suit and tie, but it’s about as dressed up as someone is able ta’ get these days. 

“Hi, Rick,” I chirp brightly, tuckin’ my hair behind me ear and makin’ extra sure that I don’t get up too fast and hit my head on Michonne’s bunk.

Rick smiles confidently, blue eyes bright, but he’s sheepish and quiet as he says, “Hi, Scarlett.” His hands fidget at his sides Ricks bites his lip a little, which, in all honesty, is about the most sexually attractive thing I’ve seen in recent months. Jesus, I gotta calm myself. 

I flush a little because, my God in heaven, I’m makin’ Rick Grimes nervous, and get up off my bed, makin’ sure I don’t hit my head on Michonne’s empty bunk.

“You ready?” Rick asks me. I nod and smile at Rick, followin’ him out and makin’ sure the curtain is shut behind us. 

We walk out into the cool night, and I’m thankful ta’ see that the moon is shinin’ brightly. Carryin’ a flashlight is clumsy and awkward when you’re tryin’ ta’ seriously talk with someone, and it’s also just a pain in the ass. 

The grounds look real pretty at night. The moon makes the dead grass look an interestin’ shade a’ gray and the chain-link fences look black, but also shiny at the same time. It would be better if the walkers weren’t moanin’ and pressin’ in on the fences in a couple places, but hey, I’ll take what I’ve been given. 

“So, uh, how ya’ been?” Rick swallows visibly and darts his eyes my way. I think it’s real sweet that he’s nervous and everything. I chalk it up ta’ the fact that he hasn’t been on a first date in quite a while since he was married and all. 

“I’ve been good,” I reply, smilin’ real bright at him. “It’s been kinda nice havin’ Judith around. I mean, workin’ in the infirmary is fun and all, but people don’t really get hurt all that often.” 

Rick smiles and chuckles a little, sayin’, “Yeah, I heard Beth kinda dumped her on ya’.” Rick looks a little apologetic as he shoves his hands in his pockets, and I just offer him a smile. 

“I’m glad she dumped that baby on me. Gives me somethin’ ta’ do. Half the time, Caleb is flirtin’ up this real pretty redhead that comes in ta’ see him every day when we ain’t busy, so I’m lonely.” I look away from Rick a watch my boots crunch over the gravel, suddenly kinda down. “I always wanted ta’ have a couple kids, but this whole thing,” I gesture to the world around us, lingerin’ on a cluster a’ walkers, “kinda ruined that.”

 I did always want a family and babies. I was gonna marry a doctor, buy a house with a white picket fence and a swing set in the backyard, ya’ know, the whole nine yards, but now that’s just not possible. No one in their right mind would bring a baby into a world like this one on purpose. 

“Fer what it’s worth,” Rick says sincerely, “you woulda’ been a great mother.” I look at him and he nods, almost to himself. “I’ve seen ya’ with Judith. She took ta’ ya’ fast and she loves bein’ with ya’. Carl always talks about how good ya’ are with her.” Rick smiles at me admirin’ly and I flush straight down ta’ my neck at the huge compliment. 

“Thank you,” I murmur quietly, gigglin’ like an imp. Rick’s smile twitches just a little wider.

The two of us fall into an easy sort a’ flirtin’ after this, and our walk is quite nice. Rick and I even tease each other back and forth. 

“Where in God’s name did ya’ get red hair ribbon?” Rick says, stoppin’ us in the middle a’ the path that runs along the crop fields. He reaches out a hand and gives the end a’ my braid a little tug, but it doesn’t hurt. I bat at his hand and roll my eyes. 

“Carol gave it to me. I don’t know where she got it, but she was insistent that I wear it on this walk with ya’. I swear, that woman wants us ta’ date somethin’ awful.” I start laughin’, but then I fully process what I said and turn tomata’ red. Goddamn me and this mouth. I pray ta’ God Rick can’t see me blushin’ like this. 

“I know,” Rick says, totally glossin’ over how awkward this could be. “She came up ta’ me and said she would wash my shirt fer my ‘date’, or that’s what she called it.” Rick shuffles his feet a little, which is somethin’ I notice Carl doin’ a lot. “Is that what this is?” He buries his hands in his pockets and looks me dead in the eyes. Rick is tryin’ ta’ be casual, but I can tell that whatever I say next will either crush him or make him happier than he’s been in a while. 

I sure as hell hope this is a date. 

“I-I, uh, I don’t know,” I stammer. I hate when someone makes me feel like this, all nervous and fluttery. I hate chokin’ on my words like a teenager. I really hate it. 

Rick says nothin’, only smiles, chucklin’ as he does it, and tucks a strand a’ hair behind my ear. One a’ the callouses on his fingers brushes the shell a’ my ear and I try not ta’ shiver too noticeably.

Oh yeah. This is a date. 

***

*IMPORTANT PLEASE READ*

Author's Note:

OOOOOHHHH THEY'RE ON A DATTEEE!!!

XD Sorry.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I start school first thing Monday morning, so that means that things may slow down as far as updating goes. FORGIVE ME.

I love ya'll and thank you for 100+ reads!! <3

Love, Madison (evilqueen098) <3